17. Smiles are everlasting

As I stepped out into the main hallway, I could sense nobody aboard the ship, and became flooded with worry

As I stepped out into the main hallway, I could sense nobody aboard the ship, and became flooded with worry. "Delilah," I called through these empty halls, searching for one person to accompany me. When I arrived at the front of the ship, my eyes feasted upon the larger vehicle in front of me. "Dammit." My hands gripped the main control, and directed the ship toward the main port of the other, soon docking. The sound of war was heard once the hatch opened, and my eyes were left to study a bloodbath.

On the ground laid multiple stormtroopers, their weapons only inches away from them. I reached for my saber, and walked on, following the plethora of bodies. "False," I whisper to myself as I saw her standing the the middle of the walkway. She was in the midst of a fight she could not win, and I could not just stand here watching. My hand raised, force choking one of the troopers, and throwing him to the side where he would rest for the rest of his life. My lightsaber impaled the other as he stood in utter shock.

"You're here," False states, resting her gun down by her side. My head nodded as I put out my saber. We should all easily be able to take out the remainder of these men and women, but my hope was rather low. Kylo was no where in sight, so I knew he must be speaking with Hux. "He's already inside."

"He thought this would be easy," I scoffed, staring at the broken door.

"He told Delilah and me to stay behind. I couldn't just watch him die. And you... well he threatened death upon us if we woke you." Last night was the event that spiked this, I knew it. It just had to be. Kylo wasn't planning this attack until farther into the future.

"Where's Delilah?" I inquired, inspecting the small space we were in. By the look in False's eyes I already knew her fate. Dammit.

"She wasn't meant to fight, Jay. She knew that going in." Delilah was only a messenger at best, hence why she always stayed back whenever we went out. I just never thought things would end so horribly for her. My jaw clenched, and I could feel shame gather in the pit of my stomach. How could he allow this? What have I done?

A loud crash boomed through my ears, catching my attention. My head turned back to where the noise originated, and saw that broken door Kylo broke in. Without a second thought, I sprinted toward the door with all possible haste, ready to fend off whatever was attacking my thane. I drew my saber, and entered the room to see Kylo standing in a sea of bodies. "What are you doing here?" The tone of his voice was strong, unlike I've ever heard before. Only this time, I wasn't frightened by his angered state.

"Is it done?" Kylo nods to me, and casually makes his way toward me through the field of bodies. Words remained unspoken, but he just gazed at me with a poker face. "What more will you do? Burn the ship? You've killed all your men."

"No, not all. Enough with the comments, Jayne Yadira." On his own pace, he left the room, and I was sure to follow. "This way, False." Our trio made our way to another docking port where stormtroopers gathered, knowing we'd soon show up. "Follow my lead-"

"There's too many, Commander," False admits, raising her blaster toward the enemy. "If we all just... wander in there, we'll die." I cocked a brow in puzzlement. How did they manage before? "I will die for you, Commander, but not with you." False sounded same as I the other night. I meant what I had said. I would prevent death upon Ben.

"Then do as I say, False," Kylo says, disregarding his officers input. As he stood, I placed my shaking hand on his shoulder, gazing up to him nonchalantly. Knowing that this may be our last encounter, I offered him a smile. A plain smile, something I haven't done in a quick minute. One smile was all it took for him to acknowledge that my hateful words were only momentarily true. His gloved hand reached up to gently grab onto the back of my neck, pulling me closer to him so he could see my worried expression that only now grew noticeable. As he leaned forward, I did too, ending the gap that separated us with a soft kiss. I wanted nothing more than what would soon prevail. My arm tensed up, and my lightsaber lit with one single gesture.

The group of us fought off many of the troopers, but now it was only False, and I remaining on the ground floor. Kylo was in The Silencer, and getting it prepared for takeoff as the two of us blocked any trooper who dared to fight against us. One would think that perhaps some of these men and women would aid us in our fight, but that's not what happened. "Come on," False calmed as she began to jog toward The Silencer. I impaled a stormtrooper one last time before following behind False, not worried about the remaining blasts that flew my way.

Two blasts to the hand, and my saber went flying, and so did I. The pain was unbearable. My hand was almost completely obliterated, and hot tears trailed down my face when I saw Ben attempt to leave the ship, only... False restricted him from doing so. In hopes of escaping, I used my other hand to reach for my saber, only for it to be grabbed by a woman in silver armor. Captain Phasma. My head began to spin from the excruciating pain, but I still attempted to use the force, and fight off the men and women that surrounded me.

"Ben," I whispered to myself as his name came into mind. I was betrayed by the flame of my own saber as it impaled straight through my ribcage, and tore through my heart. For the final second I laid there waiting for my final breath to escape my chapped lips, I saw the unstable Sith shouting through the windshield of his ship, and I couldn't help but smile. Smile at the fact that now, he might understand everything he's put me through. Smile at how I was finally free. Smile at how my best moments were with him.