chapter 10

"newt" i'm yelling as well. my worst nightmare had come true. they had put newt in here with us. "newt where are you"

"mia" he was screaming in pain. like he was being tortured. i sprint following his voice. i can't help but sob in terror.

"mia" finnick yells. "mia come back"

i ignore him and keep running. until it sounds as though I've reached the source of the sound. confused i notch an arrow and stare around. the only thing in sight is a bird. quickly firing the bird drops to the ground and the screams stop.

finnick runs into the area.

"mia" he says then his face goes white as a female voice screams

"finnick"

"annie?" he yells

"finnick it's not real" i say desperately.

"there jabber jays. they copy. how else do you think they got the sound" he snaps still running. i'm running right behind him. just to show him i fire an arrow at the bird that is screaming.

at that point another bird takes up a scream. this time it's thomas' voice.

"we have to get out of here" i yell as the tears stream down my cheeks.

He nods still white faced and we run back as the screams build up. i don't think when i notice the others just standing there. i run straight into a solid wall. i can't help the panic that builds up in me. after hammering on the wall trying to break it i fall to the ground covering my ears trying to block out the screams.

i don't know how long i sat there but the next thing i know someone places a hand on my shoulder comfortingly. getting up i shrug it off trying not to let my terror show.

"it's late. we should settle down for the night" that was haymitch but i'm not really listening. "we'll go back to the beach. it seems the safest place"

later. once we are on the beach i finally speak.

"i'll take first watch"

"you and finnick should get some rest" haymitch says sternly.

"either way i'm going to be awake" i reply. he backs down and falls asleep leaving me to my thoughts.

i get very little sleep that night and when i do wake up the next morning everyone except Johanna is sitting in a huddle. rather than face them i move to sit beside her.

we sit in a silence until she breaks it "who's newt?"

"a friend" i reply simple as his face flashes into my mind

"a close one?"

"he's the reason i volunteered" i sigh. the gladers were out of the reach of the capitol. snow couldn't hurt them anymore. "it was either that or snow killed him."

"they won't have tortured annie" she says "there's no way. so i don't think they would have tortured newt either"

"that's the difference between my friends and annie. you know snow won't have tortured her. i know snow did torture my friends"

with that i chuck the leaf i had been picking at down and head down to where the others were. the group seemed to have thinned over night as there was quite a few faces missing. the only ones left seemed to be johanna finnick haymitch beetee wiress and myself.

"who's left?" i ask

"enoboria and brutus" finnick supplies

"lot's of people died and i didn't even notice?" i mumble slightly hurt i didn't realize how many were actually gone.

"so we're splitting" i state grabbing the hilt of one of my daggers ready.

"beetee has a plan"haymitch says quickly noticing my movement. "to get rid of the careers. then after that. yes. i guess we split."

"where would the safest place be" beetee asks

"here" johanna states walking over to join us.

"so why aren't the careers here?"

"because we are"

"and if we leave?"

"they'd come back here"

"the tree over there. at exactly 12 the tree over there there is a lightning storm. if we connect this wire to the tree and trail it down to the beach anyone in the water, the sand or on the outskirts of the jungle would be immediately electrocuted."

"what can we do to help?"

"keep me alive until midnight" beetee replies

with a nod we make our first move towards the tree. it was already almost 12 so we had to wait till after the lightning strike to move.

when we reach the tree beetee stands in front of it inspecting it.

"johanna and haymitch take the wire down to the beach. mia finnick and wiress stay with me" beetee orders.

with a nod johanna and haymitch set off after beetee ties the coil to the tree.

"we all know the plan?" beetee asks.

finnick and i nod.

"now we wait" he replies. 

it's almost 12 when i notice what beetee is doing. it only takes a second to connect what he is doing.

"you're doing it wrong" i say barely audible.

"what?" he asks jumping.

"i know what you're doing. and you're doing it wrong" i repeat. "besides. the weakest point is at the top. wrap it round my arrow."

"mia. you know what you are asking" beetee asks.

"quickly. it's almost 12 and finnick will be back soon" i say.

he smiles sadly.

"finnick isn't coming back" he whispers.

"fair enough"i shrug. "now give it to me"

"i can't do that" he says quietly.

"i'm sorry beetee" i say before quickly knocking him out. by my guess it was almost time for the lightning strike. unwrapping the coil quickly i wrap it around my last arrow. i was hiding it from the camera. they couldn't see. i finally stand up and knotch the arrow.

"mia" finnick screams. but i ignore him. i pull the bow back and as soon as the lightning hits the tree i release the arrow. it hit's it's mark and the force field begins to cave in. i'm blown back by the explosion hitting my head off something and blacking out.

by merely the sounds around me i knew where i was before i even opened my eyes, the feel of cold hard metal against my back was the first giveaway. the second was the lack of voices. when i opened my eyes mu suspicions were confirmed. I was in the capitol. i was away from newt and i probably wouldn't see him again.