Maybe

"Are you okay Sam?" She asked me again.

"Yes, I'm great. " I said without thinking. Why am I lying. I want to tell her what's wrong but something is controlling my tongue. "I just saw a huge spider while exploring the basement". What the hell am I saying? I was trmbling in fear not a minute ago and now I'm spitting words that I didn't intend to say.

"Ohh, don't go exploring in dark places. You know I've tried putting bulbs so many times I even lost count but all of them burst or fused". She said and walked to the kitchen to unpack groceries.

"You're home early.." I finally gained control over my tongue.

"Yes, I just got tired and missed home.." She shrugged then looked at me. "Are you sure you're okay?" She asked me.

Now that I gained control over my mouth I can tell her about the basement. "Positive" I said and a huge smile formed on my face. What is this, what's happening to me? Why can't I say what's on my mind? "Excuse me, I think I left my phone in my room" I said and left.

I got in my room and looked in the mirror. Nothng was wrong. No marks ,no scars and my mouth was perfectly functional. What the hell happened. "I bet its got somehing to do with the basement".

I went downstairs and found Shary asleep on the couch. I fetched her a throw and covered her up. I'll admit she does look kind of cute when she's asleep.

"Goodnight  Shary " I whispered and kissed her forehead.

***

I woke up at two in the morning and sat up on my bed. I checked my phone for any messages but remembered that I had no contacts. No social media and no friends.

By this time I would have curled up and cried or gone for the blade under my bed or the rope in my closet. But tonight was different, I didn't feel like doing any of those things. I wasn't sad, I was a bit happy. I tried to recall what made me this happy and Justina's bubbly voice echoed in my head.

"We'll be your friends"

A smile formed on my face." Someone actually wanted to be my friend". I thought. Maybe I was a bit hasty about the basement. Maybe I jumped into conclusions. I was in the dark afterall, maybe just maybe my mind was playing tricks on me.

I head groaning and footsteps comming up the stairs. And a loud bang in Shary's room. I guess she finally felt the hardness of sleeping on the couch.

I got out of bed and slipped into my gothic gown ans slippers. I went downstairs for a glass of milk and some cookies. I staired at the basement door with a glass of milk and cookies in my hands and took a deep breathe then opened the door with my elbow. As soon as I opened I head children running away and laughing.

I turned around and saw Justina and Sabrina playing patty cake. This time I could see Justina's black long hair and Sabrina's brown short, shaggy hair. It looked just like mine.

"You're back, honestly after that stunt you pulled I didn't think you'd ever set foot here again." Sabrina said crossing her arms. I still couldn't see their faces, its like the green fire's light shadow wanted me not to see them.

"Sorry about that. I brought some treats to apologize." I said and walked towards them.

"Actually we...".
"We forgave you a long time ago" Justina cut Sabrina of and finished her sentence.

An awkward silence erupted as we sat down around the fire. We all just looked down at our crossed legs.