Alexa meets changes

That morning, Alexa got up and left before anyone woke up. She ran home as quickly as possible, before the real trouble could start. 

As soon as she opened the door, her mother was standing there, with a phone in her hand.

"ALEXA! Where have you been?" 

"I... Does dad know about this?"

"No. He hasn't woken up. I just woke up. I was seconds from calling 911. But, I NEED to know where you were."

"I was... I was at Mr. Matthews house."

"Alexa, honey why didn't you call me? You know that is the rules."

"I am sorry mom. I'm sorry. I was mad. Mad at dad. He used to be here for me, but what happened? I just... I made friends here. It was different from California. Real friends, who care about me. I just got here, I really do not want to leave."

"I know hon. But it is the way things have to be."

Alexa had to think as quickly as possible. Then, she finally came up with an idea: Aunt Marie, Opals' sister. Marie lived across the city. Marie had always wanted to have children, but she couldn't. What if Alexa moved in there?

"Can I move in with Aunt Marie?"

"What?!" Opal exclaimed, dropping her phone.

"Just for like 6 months or so. I want to keep going to the same school. I want my friends again. I just... I love you. But New York is home. Not anywhere else. I just... I want you all to stay. But if you can't stay, I think I need to stay alone."

Opal began sobbing "Honey, your my only daughter. Your my entire life. But, I should have told you... You and me are not moving."

"What?" Alexa said "But mom..."

"We... are getting a divorce." 

Alexas' jaw dropped. She started crying. 

"But, you love dad." Alexa said, through her sobbs.

"I won't ever stop loving him. But, we can't do this. It isn't good enough for you. He is going to Mexico for the job, but also rehab. I would have told you last night... but you weren't at home."

Alexa's dad finally woke up and ran over to her.

"Alexa! Sweetie! My job is starting early. I already have my suitcase in the next room." he sighed "I love you Alexa. Stay cheerful, stay smiley, and don't forget to sanitize." he took a hand sanitizer out of his pocket and handed it to Alexa. 

"I'm not going to be on my phone for at least a month... so if you want to give me a call, just look into the stars."

"Why?" she asked, very confused.

"The stars look very close together." he said "But they are much farther away. Me and you Alexa, we are the opposite. We may seem far away, but we are closer together then it seems. I love you."

"I love you too dad." 

"I love you, Opal. I know we aren't going to be right there with each other anymore, but as soon as I am better, as soon as I have gotten my life together, I'll be one call away."

                                                                               ~~~~~

Alexa stayed home from school the next few days. Watching dad leave was hard, but she knew he could get better. He cared, he just was not sure how to show it.

Alexa heard her phone ringing as she sat on the couch. She ran to pick it up, it was from Lucas.

"Hi Lucas."

"Alexa! I haven't seen you in forever! Are you ok?"

"Yeah, I'm good. Can we talk somewhere?"

"Yeah. You wanna head to my house? It is two houses down from..."

A few minutes later, Alexa saw him walking down the road. She ran outside. 

"Alexa! Where have you been?" Lucas walked over to her. 

"My parents are getting divorced. My dad moved away this week."

"I'm sorry. I'll always be there for you." his phone rang. "It's home." he said 'I need to go. But, I'm only one call away. Trust me." 

Lucas came close to her a kissed her cheek. Alexa blushed and smiled. He ran away, not because he was sad or embarrased, but because he needed to get home quick.

Alexa smiled. She knew he would be back, she knew she would be back. Things could get better, so she knew eventually they would get better. 

The end