Nobody said it was easy

Vincent was in his office quite early in the morning. All the paper accumulated on his desk like a tower of tons of work and he sighted: Norman wasn't behaving like he was supposed to do. Even if Vincent knew that he was a prodigy in science, he was quite problematic 

He had dangerous ideias of freedom and for god's sake he was working for the government: Didn't he know he had to dirty his hand and do the dirty job? Vincent knew Norman wasn't that innocent but...

He was steeping out of the line in those terms 

" Boss, I confirmed your suspicion...the security camera guards gave me the audio recording. Norman does indeed talk and interact with the creature in a too kind way...he isn't conducting the experiment, the president asked of this laboratory" 

" Cislo, I already knew that...tell me something new" 

" They said, they couldn't hear in the recordings what he said to her, but they think he said..." I won't let them hurt you anymore" 

Vincent closed his eyes and sighted 

" Well, we have here an interesting case...he knows he can't do this and yet he is being stubborn? When I saw his profile I was expecting a highly intelligent scientist  who would go along my game...but this is something knew..." 

" Indeed Boss! Some guards suspect that Norman is trying to escape with the mermaid to take her out of the lab in order to save her any any means necessary... what do you-" 

" What? Are you joking Cislo? This is a high security facility, fly don't even come in this place, or leave. Norman isn't stupid...if he uses a brain cells of that big brain of his, he conclusion he always arrives to is the same..." 

There is no way out of that place. 

Norman sighted: He had the map he made, by hand as he looked over the parts of the facility he had access too: it was almost like a mind map of that place. There was nothing...everything was done with the ultimate care of not letting  anything get out of that place. 

" Damn...this is more difficult than I tough...what should I do... the experiments they want me to conduct are getting more violent by the day and I'm sure Vincent saw the audio records and plans on doing something to force me to do what the government wants..."

Norman rose his face in the winter's evening: He couldn't hurt her and he knew that. It was going against his morals and will. He sighted: didn't he done that before? Didn't he conducted abusive experiment before? 

And he didn't feel a thing so...why now? 

He smiled and he climbed the roof top of his little apartment to get a glimpse at the city at night, all the light glowing in the darkness of a turbulence of tiny lives that went and go, just like the wind that was brushing his face and his silver hair 

" Emotions...really are a nuisance...but- Norman placed a hand in his hearth - I wouldn't live without them" 

Norman remembered strangely how Emma asking him, not long ago in a clumsy way if she was a pain to him. When he closed his eyes, leaving the fear of actually falling of the rooftop, Norman could hear everything, and the air was more clear to him 

He had been losing that life was really...what it meant to be alive 

And when he tough of pain...the messy frizzy hair of his father, who adopted him with open arms and told him all the important thing he only realized by now, and the face of the brunette mermaid, who would sing a song filled with northern lights just for him, crossed his mind in a flash