Crimes of wanting you

Author's Note: So welcome to another chapter! This one is a more complex chapther with more plot and happens at the same as the latest chapter does ( happens in a different place at the same time ) Since I promised myself not to write a HUGE fanfic, the chapter is longer but...with a lot of stuff with your beloved ( my mine UwU ) Noremma sad fluff by the end! 

Also, this chapter was inspired on the song " Darling" from Between the trees, so I recommend you listening to the song as you read the chapter! 

Enjoy! 

----------------- o ----------------

The lab, back at the city was quiet. The guards in the facility were actually less, since the government convoked them into the operation of finding the missing mermaid, the only mermaid known to exist and to be captured. Even if the lab did it's best not to leak any information about this top secret case, it eventually got the attention of the media

Multiple journals and TV shows reporting the famous case of " the prince who rescued the mermaid" and how fantasy could actually become true. The government's politic as a failure and basically, the population smiled reading the history of the man who gave up everything for this mysterious mermaid

" We yet have no news about the location of the mermaid, nor the man and the organization behind this historical break out of a high secured facility. Many people claim that the man behind this act, is Norman Rockwell, a late scientist of the secret lab investigation who was in charge of testing the mermaid's abilities " 

" It is also said that the organization who helped him and the mermaid escape is a independent special police force which does not fall under the control of the government since is financed by privet identities" 

" I'm so tired of this news...I just want some rest" - Don rose up as he turned off the only TV the coffee shop had and Gilda slighted bringing the mug of coffee into her face.

" I wonder if Norman is ok...I never tough he would do that. Wasn't that actually quite brave of him? Honestly I've always wanted Emma to be free..." 

" Omg have you gone crazy too Gilda!? What about our job? We signed for this, so why are you saying that now? Didn't you know that we would be doing some dirty work on the lab?" 

" Yes...I knew - Gilda rose her voice as she adjusted her glasses. She gave a look at the shop's clock: their break was almost over - " not I din't sign to comit crimes of submit a living being to torture. She may be a mermaid but that doesn't mean she should be discarded because of it" 

" Yeah...ok I agree with you but...it is not ok for me to want to keep my job? Unlike you guys, I need the money and I can't afford to lose this opportunity! " - Don argued as Gilda payed the bill, giving him a hard look with a disgusted face 

" Than...if you want to keep your job...turn into some merciless doctor who tortures living creatures for the sake of the system who used you and can discard you anytime, if they want" 

" Gilda! No...wait, Gilda I'm sorry ok?" 

Gilda was in the edge of her patience. When Norman took Emma has his test subject and she assisted the way he interacted with her, and the way she interacted with him, something in her changed and everything about the lab felt...wrong 

Ok, maybe mermaids caught the curiosity of the human eyes but...was there any need for the human curiosity to mistreat the source of wonder? One thing was testing on animals, who couldn't speak or display their feelings ( and that felt also wrong to her ) but testing on a creature that interacted and had the same abilities of a human being?