Moonlight

Hermione had had the time of her life. To her, everyone looked nice except maybe Ron with his... 'dress' she had to admit ....poor fellow. Although all her pity for him had vanished when he, in his absolutely sultry mood, had stated Krum was too old for her and was only using her.

She was furious and heartbroken. 'Fraternising with the enemy?..how dare he said that. If he was so worried about me then he should have asked me to the ball before thinking about anyone else. That...that rat!' She thought furiously , but all her anger melted down into tears as she sat on the steps of the staircase. She stayed there for quite long...crying .

The ballroom was now almost empty except for the few elves who were cleaning up . The other heartbroken girls had left too but Hermione stayed and cried some more. She longed for a shoulder to rest her head , she felt alone . Harry was not here , but that was her fault . She had told him, ' Off to bed,both of you!' .

Suddenly she heard muffled cries , those of a boy .

The large door which led one from the garden to the ballroom was still left open . She quietly walked over and peeped to see who it was and saw very familiar platinum blonde hair . She knew instantly who it was.

She heard what seemed to be, 'I can't do it anymore , it's all too much'.She quietly walked back a few steps and came back making her footsteps louder and slightly coughed before walking up to him.

Malfoy had heard someone coming. He quickly wiped his tears ,put on his cold face and looked away from where the sound came . He felt someone come closer and decided he looked presentable enough to look up . He turned around to see the girl who had made him grin so much , however she looked less happy and had a slight smile pasted across her face , it seemed force. Her eyes had bags under them , her nose was red. 'Why was she crying and did she hear me ?'.

She came closer climbed down the first two steps and was about to sit , almost a feet away from where he sat, when he said, "What do you think you're doing herm-granger , I mean mudblood , you can't sit here".

"Shut it Malfoy , I can sit wherever I please . Last time I checked you don't own these steps. Plus you seem as heartbroken as I am and would rather you keep your nicknames to yourself, at least for tonight"she replied .

The tone of her voice made Draco shut up. He hadn't want to call her mudblood but decided to keep up his 'pureblood' act.

She sat down on the cold step, in the chilly breeze next to someone who seemed colder than ice.

For five minutes straight there was silence between them .

When Hermione could take it no longer she said, " well how was your ball?".

Draco looked up at her , shocked , how had she dared talk to him , he wanted to tell her but was he supposed to ?

Bringing back his composure he looked away from her chocolate brown eyes and snickered , " Nothing special. What about you granger , it looks like Krum didn't treat you very well" an evil grin forming on his face.

Hermione was a little triggered but didn't know if she should tell him about Ron , fighting in her head she said angrily , " Victor didn't do anything he's a gentleman I was upset over something else."

" Well?" -'Damn curiosity'.

She stuttered " Well...Ron was being a jerk." She felt the need to tell someone her troubles so blurted everything out and to her surprise Draco had listened, actually listened, it gave her a fuzzy feeling.