06 // alcohol & new friends

"It's a great advantage not to drink among hard drinking people"

Elise made the mistake of agreeing to go to another party with Jay. It had been almost a month since the last party so she figured why not. Also, she had been really bored lately. She and Luke hadn't hung out much in the past couple of weeks because he either was hanging out with his other friends or hadn't finished the reading they planned on. Jay also had been quite busy lately, he told her that he needed more guy time and she agreed. It's not like she could stop him from hanging out with his friends. She vowed never to be a clingly girlfriend.

Her mistake in agreeing to go to this party was that when she entered the house she was completely overwhelmed with the smell of alcohol. She pushed through the crowded trying to find Jay, but she couldn't see him anywhere. Elise finally found the kitchen and was not surprised when she found too many bottles of alcohol to count littered across the counters. Almost half of them were empty, which could never be a good thing. 

"Hey baby," Elise heard a familiar voice behind her. She grinned from ear to ear as she spotted her amazing boyfriend. Why couldn't she stop smiling? He just had this effect on her. 

As he approached her, her smile faded more and more. "A-are you drunk, Jay?" Elise stuttered nervously. She knows the effects of drinking and she isn't exactly comfortable with them. Jay knew that. He nodded his head awkardly and stumbled closer to her, but she took a step backwards. He frowned at her.

"Why are you acting like this babe?" he slurred. "I'm only a little drunk," he whispered holding up his pinched fingers to illustrate how much, but Elise knew better.

"Jay, sweetheart, I know you're more than a little drunk. Let's get you back home," she spoke softly and sweetly. She didn't want to anger him.

He scowled at her, "No, I want to stay longer," she sighed.

"Fine, just a little bit longer," Elise stated and Jay smiled down at her. He lightly grabbed her arm and dragged her out of the now crowded kitchen. He kept dragging her until they got to a circle of people in a small area. A couple of the people acknowledged their presence as they joined the circle. Elise looked around for someone she knew and spotted a familiar mop of curls. "Hi, Ashton," she greeted as she sat in the empty space next to him.

Ashton turned to look at her and grinned widely, "Elise! Nice to see you again."

Elise smiled too and nodded, "Yeah, I'm just glad I know someone again. Jay always knows everyone at these types of things and I'm just left to be the awkward loner," she laughs lightly, but in reality, it hurt. She hated coming to parties, but Jay always invited her. She would get there, excited to spend time with her boyfriend, but he always had other friends there.

Ashton gave her an understanding look, "I'm sorry, Elise. But look on the brightside! You can hang out with us now!" he motioned to himself and the boy sitting next to him. Ashton was always looking on the brightside of things. Especially since he felt bad for Elise. He and almost everyone knew what a douche Jay is. Elise didn't though, and Ashton felt bad for the innocent girl sitting next to him. Not to mention she's one of his friend's best friends.

The boy next to Ashton spoke up, "I'm Michael. A friend of Ashton's. It's nice to meet you," he greeted politely. Elise took in his features. If she had seen him any other time and didn't know he was a friend of Ashton's she would have steered clear. His red, obviously dyed, hair and multiple piercings and tattoos aren't something she would normally be fond of, but he seemed nice.

"Elise. Nice to meet you," she sent him a short greeting. "So what are we even doing in this circle anyways?"

Michael and Ashton both rolled their eyes, "I think they wanted to play spin the bottle or truth or dare or something," Michael spoke up, clearly not interested. "You know, I always hate games like these at parties. It's like people are asking to do stupid things."