08 // picnic tables & sandwiches

"I am one of the few honest people I have ever known"

Elise hadn't spoken to Jay in almost a week. He had called her and texted her several times, but she ignored him. She needed some space and time to think. She had done a lot of thinking that week. Elise didn't know if this was a big enough issue to break up with him for. He was drunk after all, she thought to herself. He had no idea what he was doing. He wouldn't do anything consciously to hurt her, would he? Then again, he did over drink which he knows she doesn't like.

Luke had asked her what she was going to do about Jay. She responded with a shrug and told him she would need time to think and to hear his justification of his actions. Elise decided that she would talk to him soon, but she needed to study more for her big history exam coming up. She had already been distracted enough this past week.

As she finished reading over her notes again, Elise felt her phone vibrate next to her. She glanced at the screen, but froze when she saw who the message was from.

"Jay" her now bright phone screen read.

She slowly reached for the device and unlocked her phone. She clicked on the message and read it to herself. Baby can we please talk?

Elise sighed as she read those words. Did she want to talk to him yet? Not really, but she knew she had to face her problems sooner or later. So she responded simply telling him to meet her in a half hour. This gave her enough time to shower quickly, put her hair in a messy bun, and change into normal clothes.

As she walked out the double doors of her dorm building she looked around at the few picnic tables scattered about the slightly empty courtyard. Then she saw him. After having a battle with herself as to whether or not this was a good idea, Jay spotted her and now she definitely couldn't back out.

Elise slowly made her way to the table he was at and say across from him. She folded her hands on the table and played with her thumbs. Jay just sat there staring at her.

"So are you going to tell me what's going on?" he asked harshly. She flinched and swallowed hard.

"C-can you tell me what you remember from the night of the party?" she asked him trying to sound confident, though her stutter didn't do her justice.

He furrowed his eyebrows, "Elise just tell me what's bothering you!"

"So you don't remember what you did to-"

He ran a hand through his hair and cut her off. "No! Just tell me for god's sa-"

"You touched me, Jay! You freaking held me against my will and kissed me and touched me when you were drunk!" Elise yelled in his face, not being able to hold back her anger any longer. Jay's eyes widened in realization.

"Elise, baby, I had no idea," he said in a calming voice. She shook her head to show her disappointment and lowered her eyes to look at her hands on the table in front of her. "Elise..."

She didn't say anything. What was she supposed to say? She couldn't just magically jump back into his arms like nothing ever happened, could she?

"Baby just hear me out," Jay spoke up again. Elise didn't say anything. Jay let out a long breath and stood up from his seat. He quickly walked around the table and sat down next to Elise. He put a single finger under her chin and made her look into his eyes. "I was completely drunk that night. I would never do anything to hurt you on purpose, Baby," he paused for a moment before adding, "Everyone makes mistakes."

She searched his eyes, but she couldn't read them. Was he telling the truth? She wasn't sure, but what she was sure of: everyone deserves a second chance. She felt a small smile form on her lips, "I'll give you a second chance," she stated quietly.