Broken Bottles: chapter 20

I walked into the house after school with Penny, Polly, and Sadie. Sidney missed the bus which worried me slightly, but I had faith that he would turn up.

"Girls, go work on your homework." I told my sisters. I didn't want them downstairs when dad turned up for his money.

"I don't have homework." Sadie said as she took off her shoes.

"Then go play in your room for a little bit and then tonight I'll make meatloaf for dinner." I said.

"I love meatloaf." She exclaimed.

"I know." I chuckled and watched her go upstairs with Polly. Penny watched them go as well, so I turned to her, "I meant you too."

"The 'go do homework or go play' might work for them, but not me. I'm going to be right here when dad walks through that door." Penny told me. She then plopped down on the couch and pulled out some schoolwork.

"I just hope Sid gets here before dad does." I nervously looked through the window. Dad's truck and Sidney were both absent.

"Did he tell you where he was going after school?" Penny asked.

"No, I didn't even know he wasn't coming straight home." I joined her on the couch.

"He'll show up." She reassured me. I sighed and pulled out my own homework.

About a half an hour later the front door opened. Sidney came walking in with a bundle of cash in his hands.

"Where were you?" I asked.

"Getting this." He answered and lifted up the cash.

"How did you get that?" I asked next. Sidney was about to answer when the front door slammed open from behind him. Dad walked in looking calmer and less shaky than yesterday, meaning he used Penny's thirty dollars right away for booze.

"Where's my money." He asked.

Sidney turned around and held out the cash for him, "Here."

Dad grabbed it quickly and counted all the bills. Once he saw it was all there, he folded it and shoved it in his pocket.

"Next time just paying me back won't be enough." He threatened and left the house. Once he was gone all three of us slumped our bodies in relief.

"I'm surprised he actually left just like that." Penny said.

"Yeah, well, he likes booze more than he likes hitting us." Sidney joked.

"Not funny." Penny slumped back on the couch, but I could see a small smile on her face. I could tell she was relieved it was over for now just like I was.

"Okay, spill. Where did you get the money?" I asked Sidney again.

"I sold the shoes I bought." He admitted. I looked at his feet and it was then that I noticed his old, worn out shoes were back on.

"What about Riley?" I asked.

"I'm done trying to impress Riley. She either likes me or she doesn't." Sid shrugged.

"Well, I'm proud of you. You made a mistake and then you took it upon yourself to fix it." I praised my younger brother.

"Yeah, well I still feel like it wasn't enough to make it up to you. You still took all those hits for me." He pointed at my bruised face.

I thought for a second, "There is one thing you can do for me."

"What?"

"Make meatloaf tonight for dinner. I promised Sadie I would make it and now I really don't want to."