Broken Bottles: chapter 8

"I will be home before morning and if dad comes home—."

"Avoid him at all costs. Yeah, I got it, Pax." Polly said. I was explaining everything for about the tenth time just in case anything happened while I was at the party. To say Polly was getting agitated was an understatement.

"And make sure Sadie goes to bed at a reasonable time." I told her.

"Everything will be fine, Paxton." She said.

After I texted Danny that I was going earlier, I instantly regretted it. My mind went into overdrive and I couldn't stop thinking of every possible way the night could end horribly for my two youngest sisters. I would never forgive myself if anything happened to them, but Polly insisted she was old enough to take care of everything. I wasn't too convinced an eleven year old was responsible enough to stay home alone with a seven year old, but it wasn't just any eleven year old. It was Polly. She was bright and thought everything out before taking action, so I had to believe her.

I was about to remind her of not letting Sadie mess with any of the kitchen appliances when my phone buzzed. It was Danny telling me he was in the driveway and to hurry up. I grabbed my jacket and tied my shoes before saying goodbye to Polly and Sadie. I walked outside and got into Danny's car. Once I was inside, I let out a huge breath.

"Don't get out much, do you?" He asked, lightly.

"It's just...what if something happens to them and—." I started.

"They will be fine, Paxton, I promise. You're allowed to have a normal teenage life too." Danny cut me off.

I looked over at him, "My life is the farthest thing from normal."

"Okay, maybe, but tonight I am going to make sure you experience a completely carefree and normal teenage party." Danny promised. I gave him a small smile and put on my seatbelt. He then put the car in reverse and backed out of the driveway.

We got to the lake in twenty minutes and the parking lot was packed. We eventually found an open spot and got out.

"Help me get the blankets and water." Danny told me while opening his trunk.

"You brought water to a high school party?" I asked. I might not have been to a lot of parties during high school, but I knew for a fact no one drank water at them.

"Oh, trust me, people will need these after they start puking behind the bushes past midnight." Danny laughed.

"Wow, look at you being the responsible friend." I joked.

"You know it. I'll take the blankets and one case if you take the other two." He collected the blankets and grabbed one case of water. I grabbed the other two and shut the trunk for him. We then made the slight hike down to the lake. I knew we were close when the sound of loud music and people talking got almost unbearable.

"Let's drop the water off at the drink table over there." Danny motioned to the picnic table full of alcoholic beverages. I nodded and we walked over. Most of the drinks were already opened and halfway gone which didn't surprise me since it seemed the whole school was here. We set the water cases under the table and Danny reached for the solo cups.

"It's about time you showed up." A voice greeted from behind us. Danny turned around and smiled at the two boys behind him. I recognized them as Anthony and Brian from the bowling alley yesterday.

"Hey, guys. Where's everyone else?" Danny asked.

"Kathrine was complaining about having to sit on the itchy grass, so Ava and Hudson went with her to get some blankets from the truck." One of them explained.