Chapter Three: The five of us

I do not own The Dragon Prince. This just a fanfiction with the reader in it because I know there are people like me who wishes they were in the show.

You kept quiet as you hid behind a box with Callum and Ezran. You used this moment to ground yourself and process everything that happened. Callum must have sensed your unease because he put a hand on your shoulder and smiled at you as if quietly saying 'You're okay.' You sent him a small smile back as a silent thank you.

After some minutes of waiting, it was time for Rayla's plan to go in action.

"You're here. I know you are." You of course knew who she was talking to but you still felt slightly anxious despite being excited to see him.

"Rayla." You heard his voice and your stomach dropped. It was definitely more intimidating in real life. "You defied me."

"Runaan, you need to call off the mission." The sound of elf dropping down from the edge of the bridge reached your ears. "You've lost your mind." He breathed out, but Rayla was quick to respond.

"Please, listen to me. I've found something. The egg of the Dragon Prince."

"That's impossible." Runaan argued, but she continued. "The egg wasn't destroyed, it was stolen. Their High Mage was going to use it for dark magic, but the human princes found it, and they're only trying to help—"

"No. Humans are liars." Ouch there, Runaan. "This is a trick and a trap. You're a fool, Rayla."

"She's not a fool." Callum came out of his hiding spot and you followed suit, "What she's telling you is true." Runaan nocked an arrow in his bow, "You've made a terrible mistake."

"Ez, show him." And said prince came out from behind the box, holding the egg. Runaan, who was drawing his bow moments prior, stopped in his tracks. "It's beautiful." He stammered, and lowered his weapon.

"How can we take vengeance for an act that never happened? You have to call it off." Rayla pleaded, but it was futile. "Rayla, you know it doesn't work that way. We bound ourselves. There's only one way to release."

"Runaan, please." She begged, "There has to be another way. This is a miracle, a chance for peace." Runaan grew visibly annoyed. "The humans struck down the King of the Dragons. Justice will not be denied. Now, give me the egg." He demanded.

Rayla got into a fighting stance with her swords out. "All of you, go. Just keep it safe." You took a step forward and reached out to her. "Rayla, no! I'm not leaving you alone."

She looked behind her shoulder at you and smiled. "Go, Y/N. I'll be fine." Your eyes showed obvious worry despite her statement. Your little outburst attracted the attention of Runaan, and he observed you. When his eyes landed upon a silver dragon that was hanging around your neck, he was shocked. First the egg, now this?

He couldn't believe his eyes.

Callum grabbed your hand and gently tugged you, reminding you that you had to leave this place. You reluctantly did so and ran towards the door. Hurrying down the stairs, you arrived outside and followed the boys.

Callum approached a hay cart, which was thankfully bigger than the one in the show so it could fit more people. He threw his bag in it, "You need to stay here, hidden, " before picking up Ezran who was holding the egg and placing him in the hay along with bait. "Keep the egg safe. I'll go talk to the king."

Ezran popped up from the hay, "Callum, why don't you just call him 'Dad'?" Callum shrugged his shoulders, "Because he's the king. And I'm his stepson." He said as he looked down at the ground.

"I think he would want you to. If you wanted to." His younger brother said with hope. "I don't know about that." Callum responded. "Be right back." He turned to you, "You should probably get inside the cart too, we don't want to get caught."

You nodded and watched as he ran towards the King's tower. You got into the hay cart, careful not to be too close to Ezran and waited. If you remember correctly, Rayla's supposed to be the next person you see.

Your assumptions turned out to be correct as Bait started glowing and two hands cleared away the hay. "This one's not so good at hiding." She laughed.

Ezran shot up from his sitting position, "I told him that!" Noticing she only saw two— uh three— people in front of her, she had a bad feeling. "Uh, where's your brother?"

"He went up to the tower to see our dad." The prince answered, and Rayla's face grew pale. "Oh, no. That's the last place he should be right now."

You got out of the cart and helped Ezran. "I don't think it's a good idea to go after him. It could be dangerous." You told Rayla. You of course knew it was dangerous but you couldn't entirely say that. She looked at you and sighed, you were right.

Soon enough, Callum came running from the tower. He came to a halt once he was in front of his brother. "Callum. Did you talk with dad?" Ezran asked him. Swords clashing could be heard from the distance as Callum shook his head. All of you turned towards the sound.

Rayla approached him, "Say the word and I'll go back into that tower with you." She said with determination. Callum hesitated but looked at the egg, then at his brother. He sighed, "No, it's up to us now. We have to return this egg. We have to keep it safe and carry it to Xadia."

"And find its mother." Ezran added. "We could change things. We could make a difference. Just the four of us." Rayla finished. A croak came from the ground and Bait was turning an angry red.

"The five of us." Callum stammered. You chuckled a bit before all of you began running towards the exit of the castle grounds. On the bridge, the older brother stopped in his tracks and looked up at the King's tower.

Noticing his lack of movement, everyone slowed down. Ezran spoke up, "Callum, do you think dad will be okay?" Callum glanced at his brother before answering, "He had the finest guards in the kingdom defending him."

"Yeah.." Ezran muttered, "Yeah, of course." He said with hope.

Up on the balcony of the King's chambers, Runaan struggled to walk. The binding on his left upper-arm turned red and detached itself, dropping on the floor. The elf fell to his knees, breathing heavily.

He took out a special arrow, and tied the binding around it. Drawing back his bow he yelled out, "Regina Draconis!" and let the arrow shoot high into the sky. Said arrow then transformed into a bird made of red smoke.

The full moon shined bright as Runaan let his arms fall to his sides, exhaustion catching up to him. That's when he heard the sound of a sword and felt a cold metal pointing at him. He narrowed his eyes and looked behind his shoulder.

"Finish this." He spat at the human. "My pleasure." The knight, Soren, said before raising his sword, ready to come down at any moment.

"No. We can find more practical uses for this one. Tie him up."

Running down the path of the forest, Rayla felt a pressure on her wrist being released. She stopped running and looked down at it, noticing the bind turned red and fell down. She gasped, and looked up as the red bird flew over her head, confirming her thoughts.

"What's going on?" Callum brought her back to the present. "Something's wrong." He stated and Rayla hid her right hand behind her back.

"No it's... We should stop and rest soon. It's a long journey to Xadia." She said with a fake smile to reassure the boys. You though, saw right through it.