Chapter 9

I take a deep breath and smile at Joe. 

"I'll see you in a few days okay?" He nods and I give him a quick kiss on the lips, he's spent the last few days calming me down about this. I was so nervous about going out in public again and performing but he's genuinely made me feel so much better and happier.

"You'll do amazing, I know you will. Your fans are going to love it!" I grin at him and give him one more kiss before hopping into the car and shutting the door. I'm going to miss him while I'm gone but it should only be three days, as long as everything goes to plan. I'm happy he's going to stay here with my cats for me, I see him wave at the car as we drive off. I feel a pang in my chest, it's weird how attached I've gotten to him over the past 6 weeks or so. He genuinely makes me feel happy, it's so weird how my world has crumbled and yet I've found him and somehow, that makes everything else matter less. I put in my earphones and zone out the entire drive to the airport.

Once I've made it through security and customs and all that, I find myself situated on the private jet. It's about a four hour flight, for part of it, Tree and my management team start talking me through the event. What time I'm going to go on, what time rehearsals are, what time I need to be at the venue etc. All that fun stuff. I know rehearsals are tomorrow, we land in Austin at 7pm tonight so it'll be straight to the hotel for us and getting an early night. Rehearsals start at 10am tomorrow and will go for about 6-7 hours. Then it'll be getting me into hair and makeup with a little bit of downtime in between to chill out backstage. My performance starts at 7pm and goes for about an hour. After that, it's just one sleep and I can head back to New York and see Joe again. Joe...I can't believe I miss him already, I don't understand how I could care about him this quickly. I know I probably shouldn't but I can't help myself. 

As the flight continues, I find myself writing some songs and planning my next album. I'm finding myself getting some momentum with writing again, I pretty much can't stop. I just have so many pent up emotions and feelings, and on top of that I can feel myself falling pretty hard for Joe. It's such a cathartic process for me and I'm so glad I'm getting inspiration again. After a while of being engrossed in my phone I feel Tree come sit beside me. 

"So, how are you doing?" I look up at her and shut my phone off

"I'm doing okay. You?" She sighs

"I'm fine, but seriously...how are you? I know shit sit the fan for you these past couple of months and I just want to make sure you're okay." I sit up properly and cross my legs,

"Genuinely, I promise you I'm doing okay. Like it was rough for a few weeks there but I'm on the mend, I swear." I look down at my fingernails,

"Um but there is something I should probably mention...just in case." Tree looks at me, encouraging me to continue, I lower my voice,

"I've met someone. We're trying to keep things on the down low though so please don't tell anyone but I just figured I should give you a heads up in case we mess up and get seen." Tree seems shocked by my admission and I get it. I'd pretty much sworn off ever dating anyone seriously after Adam but falling for Joe was an accident, the best kind of accident that could ever happen. 

"By down low you mean..?" 

"I mean I don't want the world to know. I want to protect this, it's just for the two of us. I really don't want the whole world ruining this for me, he's...different and I want it to last." Tree smiles gently at me,

"I get it. Secret's safe with me." I thank her, knowing full well that it is. I trust Tree, if I didn't she wouldn't be my publicist. But genuinely, I get along with her really well on a personal level too. Tree leaves me be as I go back to filling in the blanks of a few songs I've been working on.