Chapter 5

Days earlier

Another day, another battle. But today was different. He wasn't out in the streets firing at civilians and militias today. They had another mission in mind for him. It was all finally happening.

He stood on the beach, sinking into the white sands of the island. The flight had only been a few hours, but he still felt exhausted. He didn't want to leave Chicago. He didn't want to leave her. But as of yet, the Bermuda portal was all that was up and running. And that meant spending his last hours of 2150 away from her.

"You ready?" Lucas' inconsiderate voice interrupted, jolting Michael out of his miserable thoughts. "They're waiting."

Michael faced his brother who somehow managed to look dishevelled even in a shirt and tie. He looked around the beach, feeling the warmth of the sun on his face and listening to the blue water lap against the shore. But it was no comfort to him now.

"I'm ready."

Both men made their way to the hangar where Nichol and a team of scientists were waiting. She greeted them with her trademark smirk.

"Captain Taylor. Good to see you."

He still hadn't properly adjusted to his new rank. He knew he didn't deserve it, that it was just another way for her to manipulate him. Still, he had tried to be a good officer. He had tried to look after the men and women in his command, but really he was still that juvenile corporal who couldn't keep himself out of trouble, let alone his fellow soldiers.

"At last, all your hard work has paid off, Captain. You can go home."

She still somehow managed to make it sound like she had won. But it was true. She had. This is exactly what she had wanted. And Michael had lost - again.

"Now you know your mission. You know what to do."

"Yes," he confirmed in a monotonous voice.

"Our team will be monitoring communications 24/7 until we hear from you, whether that's days, weeks, even months. I expect to hear from you." She pursed her red, wrinkled lips, as if sensing his displeasure with the whole situation. "Don't worry. After this you'll be free to live your life wherever you want. Here, Terra Nova." She stepped closer and Michael tried to restrain himself from pushing her away from him and just running out the door. "We'll take excellent care of Lieutenant Washington. She's in good hands. I'll be monitoring things back in Chicago so I'll keep a close eye on her."

Of course, Michael thought she was full of crap. Alicia would be safer far, far away from EdenCorp. But she was alive and that was all he could hope for in these circumstances.

"Good luck, Captain."

He nodded at her. Then some armed guards escorted him to the portal entrance, Lucas trailing behind with some equipment.

They stood in front of the glowing light solemnly. Lucas gave him a gun, a bottle of water, some food, and a device so they would be able to make contact once he was through.

"They'll confiscate these from you but you'll get them back. Once they trust you."

"How do you know they'll trust me?" Michael queried, taking the stuff and shoving it in a backpack.

Lucas gave him one of those weird smiles Michael wasn't used to seeing. Their relationship had been rather strange these past months, united by their shared situation of playing slave to rich, corporate masterminds trying to make money off the suffering of their planet. The difference was Lucas chose to be here, and Michael couldn't quite forgive Lucas for everything he had done, especially to Wash. If it wasn't for Lucas, neither of them would be here. But they were still brothers, and Michael trusted him more than anyone else in this hell-hole.