Chapter 28

The next morning, Michael had been summoned to the Command Centre. He assumed it was to be briefed by his father for the next stage in the plan, but was surprised to find Mira, Carter, Curran and Mark already standing inside.

They were all in uniform, aside from Mira who was looking bored and impatient as usual. Carter, however, seemed to have been given the full Terra Novan makeover. Michael was still getting used to seeing a former Sixer in the Terra Novan uniform. He never thought he'd see the day, but he had seen crazier things recently. Nothing seemed impossible anymore.

"What's going on?" he asked, glancing between his former friends and enemies.

"Good question," Curran said with a shrug.

"We just got word we needed to show up, so we did," Carter added.

"Think it's got something to do with the fact that we're all traitors?" Mira suggested, unimpressed.

Michael looked around. It did seem that way. They had all gone against Terra Nova at some point. Michael frowned. Not this again. He thought he had managed to convince his father that he was on his side. It was this mistrust and suspicion that drove Michael away in the first place. Then again, after what he had done, he could see it being a long, long time before his father trusted him again.

"Thank you for coming in," Taylor's voice interrupted as he came through the door. "I know we're all busy preparing the colony for another attack." He looked around the room stoically. "I wanted to thank you all for the part you played in the rescue mission. It took real courage to do what you did, whatever reason you did it for. I'm grateful." He paused. "You're all here because at some point you have betrayed my trust, whether it happened years ago..." He looked towards Mira and Carter. "Or whether I just found out about it." He glanced at Mark who bowed his head shamefully. "You'll know that I expect my people to adhere to a strict code of honour and once that trust is broken it's damn hard to win back." He looked at Michael for that comment. "I just want to make sure we're on the same page, that we want what's best for the colony. If so, there's a place in Terra Nova for you. If not, you know where the door is."

"I have my daughter back," said Mira bluntly. "I'm tired of fighting. I'm willing to make a life here and earn my place if I have to."

"Jim tells me he recruited you as his deputy," Taylor said. "Is that something you'd want to continue?"

Mira shrugged. "Sure. It wasn't that bad. Girl's got to make a living somehow."

"Good, you start now. Jim could use your help."

She nodded and dismissed herself.

Taylor's gaze settled on Mira's former second-in-command. Carter chuckled nervously. "You know I didn't expect this when I signed up to take you out, and I nearly did a couple times," he said jokingly. His grin dropped when he saw Taylor scowl at him. "Alright. When I first came here it was about the money, but it quickly became all about surviving. Sometimes we were lucky just to make it through the night. They didn't care about us. And if that bitch really is dead then I doubt there's anyone looking out for me back there now. I got no future there. But maybe I have one here. If Mira can be happy here then so can I."

"How do I know you've got the colony's best interests at heart, Carter? How can I trust you?"

He pursed his lips, thinking. "The community us Sixers built...they were all assholes, but it was the safest I'd felt in a long time. You built a good community here, Taylor. And usually I wouldn't admit this, but I'm willing to risk my life to protect it. If you'd accept me."