Chapter 31

"Don't look so upset, boys," Hooper said, looking back at Michael and Lucas awkwardly sitting next to each other in the back seat. He looked between them with amusement. "You know, my cousin had identical twins. Two minutes apart, though the older one acted as if she were far more superior because of it." He chuckled. "I heard there was a delay when you came through the portal, Corporal. Guess that means you're now six months younger than your brother, huh? Ain't that something?" He laughed again and turned back around in his seat.

Michael glanced at Lucas. Bizarrely, he hadn't even contemplated the fact that now Lucas was the older brother. He'd had six extra months. Months which Michael had lost in a matter of seconds. They didn't find it as funny as Hooper.

Some time later, Michael had managed to direct Hooper's men to more or less the last place he had seen the dinosaur.

"Show me," Hooper demanded, leaping out of the vehicle.

Michael sighed and followed him as the other vehicles stopped nearby. He recognised this place from the map, but he wasn't sure he would be able to pinpoint exactly where the dinosaur was when he last saw it.

He thought back to that moment and shuddered.

"Sir!" one of the soldiers yelled from several feet away.

Hooper immediately jogged over to a soldier who was knelt down examining something.

Michael followed, looking over the man's shoulder before immediately recoiling.

"Guessing this is your man, Corporal?" Hooper said bleakly, looking up from the corpse below.

Michael nodded, forcing himself to look at Curran's body. He lay at an unnatural angle, his skin pale and his eyes glazed over. As he came closer, he could see the man's legs were broken and his left arm had been ripped off. The body was soaked in blood, staining the green foliage he had landed in. It was a miracle the wildlife hadn't eaten him yet, though the insects appeared to have been feasting on him all night.

The soldiers behind him gagged. Hooper instructed them to search the area, leaving Michael to mourn.

Michael felt a tightness in his chest and throat. He wanted to scream. Tim hadn't deserved this. He leaned forwards and gently closed the man's eyelids, hiding his glassy pupils.

"I recognise him," he heard Lucas comment behind him. "He was at the Sixer camp. Didn't he murder one of your own? Why are you so upset?"

Michael didn't even look at him.

"I don't expect you to understand, Lucas," Michael said through gritted teeth. "You've never had a friend in your life."

He couldn't determine how offended Lucas was as he glanced back. He didn't really care. Instead, he began digging into the dirt with his bare hands.

Lucas stepped closer. "What are you doing?"

"I'm burying him."

"We don't have time for this."

"I'll make time!" Michael snapped, digging deeper into the soil. "If you help me, it'll go a lot quicker."

"You're joking, right?"

Michael looked back, studying Lucas with contempt. "I suppose." Then he continued digging.

Lucas watched him for a few minutes. It was a pitiful sight. He feared his brother might just break down and cry, and that would be even more pathetic. He murmured something to Hooper, who looked back and rolled his eyes before following after his men.