Chapter 8

Thump thump thump.

The loud noises coming from his front door woke him up with a start. Groggily, he pulled himself out of bed to answer his intruder.

To his unpleasant surprise, it was Corporal Reynolds.

"Mark," yawned Michael. "Come in."

Reynolds walked inside the house. He had a tray containing some more fruit and oatmeal. Wordlessly, Reynolds placed the food on the table.

"For me? You shouldn't have," Michael teased, sensing Reynold's frosty attitude. "I appreciate it, you know. Must be difficult looking after a traitor of the colony."

Reynolds turned to face Michael, a deep frown on his lips.

"You could set your boys on me again?" suggested Michael unhelpfully, recalling once again the beating he received from the corporal's vengeful subordinates all that time ago.

"That was a long time ago," admitted Mark. He dropped his gaze and bit the inside of his cheek. "My men were angry...They needed to do something. I was wrong to let them."

Michael nodded. "Well, I appreciate you apologising. I know we've had our differences. But a lot has changed. I'm not the man you thought I was." He folded his arms, looking Reynolds in the eyes. "And you're clearly not the man everyone thinks you are."

Reynold's brow furrowed with confusion. "What are you talking about?"

"Nothing," claimed Michael innocently. "Just that perhaps there are some people around here that need to take a long hard look at themselves before they judge others." He sat down at the table to inspect his oatmeal as Reynolds stared holes into him. "What? No toast?"

"Just be quick and eat it," Reynolds barked, shaking off Michael's words. "Our head of security wants to talk to you."

After breakfast, Reynolds escorted Michael back to the Command Centre. The market was on that morning, however just like he had seen previously, the stalls appeared limited as he walked past them. The produce seemed in short supply, with minimal food, clothing, and even less tech. Casey was out in his wheelchair at his stall, a frustrated frown on his features.

As Michael walked by, Casey caught him staring.

"What the hell are you looking at, traitor?" Casey barked.

"Nice to see you too, Durwin," replied Michael sarcastically. "Did your supplier let you down at the last minute?" he joked, noticing the lack of items at Casey's store today.

"Very funny. You know, we had to make a lot of sacrifices while you Taylor boys were off cosying up to the enemy," Casey said bitterly.

"I can see that," Michael said, taking in the sad variety of items on display. "Getting cut off from the future really had a bad effect on the colony, huh?"

"No kidding," Casey said, tone dripping with sarcasm. "I had to surrender all my stuff for rationing. All the extra power cells, plexes, etcetera, went to the Infirmary and the science department. They need them more than us, I guess...But we're getting by. No thanks to you."

Michael didn't respond. He shook his head and let Reynolds take him the rest of the way to the Command Centre.

"It's only been a year," Michael said to Reynolds as they walked. "How did things get this bad?"

"You'll remember the colony was already in a bad state after the attack," Reynolds explained sourly. "It took a long time to rebuild, and with limited supplies, it took its toll."