Chapter 1

"I've been to a lot of places, but this town, it's not just "ordinary". Kinsfield is a bright and happy little refuge for the mortals, I can say. This place is pretty busy, with the merchants hopping from each buyer to another, the residents throwing away cash money in exchange for 'valuable' relics, the little pubs emanating very shrill and annoying sounds, and the officers just throwing wretched parties in their police stations. The place looks no more like the other towns I've visited, although there's something with this one that I can't quite pick up. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I sense that this town has a very rich and uncovered history. This is proven by the fact that there are literal remnants of granite spires dug up by certified archaeologists from under the roads of this town. Some of the wiser mortals here have picked up on this concept of a history, but they cannot seem to find out anything about it, at least not anywhere in or near the town. Scholars bouncing left and right in the libraries, teachers using this so-called, underdeveloped "Internet" to research, even some of the smartest students have been assigned to work out this town's origins, but to no avail. I have read every book about Kinsfield, I have watched every documentary, heck, I even hosted a private meeting with the mayor, but there's just no indication of a history. It's as if the mortals eons ago just vanished from this world, and the primal townsfolk just began to work their way to restore their "former glory". It is 1979 after all. What could go wrong?" Minne wrote in her journal before rustling the pages to close it while peeking outside her window to check if any townspeople wish to visit her hut.

"Life here sure is boring, compared to the bustling mountainside village I was at before Kinsfield." Minne pondered to herself.

She stepped out of her very cheap and humble shack to walk down the pebbled roads going to the local supermarket to buy fresh fruit for herself when she overheard a little group of girls, just by looking at them she could predict that they could be ranging from fifteen to eighteen years old, gossiping about a boy in their class, saying that he was "inept and botched".

Minne walked past those suspicious girls and continued to walk to the supermarket. Once she was there, she scavenged each and every corner for at least one pack of grapes, but there was none. That was sad...
"Excuse me, but there aren't any grapes here. Are you out of stock?" she asked one of the workers restocking their other fruit.
"All the remaining grapes were bought by a cop wearing his blue police cap. Our supplier is on the way, she's from Sanica, that little mountainside village about six hours away from here." the worker explained.
"Sanica? I used to work there as one of their... well, 'inspirations'. It's WAY farther from here, so she's probably on a 13-hour plane ride from there to here. Just get me some of your sweetest fruit." she requested as he gave her a sack of dates.
"Thanks, I'll get going to the cashier to pay for these." Minne thanked the worker as she jaunted to the cashier.
"One sack of dates, this would be... nine dollars." the cashier offered as Minne payed her what she asked for.
"Thank you for your purchase, ma'am." the cashier acknowledged.

Minne waltzed out the supermarket to make her way back home until she stopped saw the same group of girls picking on a boy, that looks just as old as them. She laid her groceries down on a rough, stone bench and walked up to the girls, in an attempt to confront them.

"Hey, what's going on here?" she asked them. "This boy's such a nuisance to us! He puts our supposedly perfect class to shame with his dumb, lethargic actions! At this point I'm pretty convinced that this poor kid has a mental disorder." The tallest of the three girls bellowed as she inches closer to the boy.

Minne attempts to make a move but the blonde girl blocks her way, obstructing her vision.
"You're not going ANYWHERE near this boy." she snapped.
"What has he ever done to you personally? Not to the class, but just you?" Minne questioned as the tall girl takes a step back and starts stuttering: "Well, y-you see..."
"Nothing. Am I correct? This poor, innocent boy has done nothing to harm just you three. If you keep walking down the path you are now, he's just gonna make it even worse for that class of yours." Minne countered the tall girl as the smallest girl, short and stout, starts shaking with rage.

"Ma'am, I have no idea what the hell your intentions are, but you should really get going or else you'll have to deal with us." she cautioned.
"Is this a threat?" Minne chuckled as they started taking their first steps to come and 'deal with her'.
"Are you sure this is a good idea of yours?" she asked them sarcastically.
This ramble has been going on for about thirty minutes, and everyone's already locked their eyes on Minne, the girls, and the boy.
"You wouldn't even dare try to hurt a defenseless lady, would'ja?" she mocked them as the shorty starts running towards me. Minne looked at her palm, and then the girl trembling with anger, threw a punch.

A strong whack to the air. Or at least that's what the townsfolk saw. To Minne, it looked like she threw her fist to a jawbreaker. She could just imagine me against these three girls in a colosseum with the crowd sharing spiteful laughs and vengeful tears.

The shorty was so badly injured that the other two girls were heavily intimidated.
"You better not show yourself again next time or you'll be in trouble." The tall girl threatened.

The townspeople then left the scene as the cops were walking towards Minne with faces as if they saw a coffee shop burn down and were unable to catch the culprit.
"Ma'am, why did you suddenly barge into a kiddie fight? Your action caused the little girl's fist, which would need a hand surgery to repair." the cop with the little blue hat asked in disappointment.
"Those three girls were making the boy's life a living hell, do you expect me to not step in? They could have consoled him, or taught him, or whatever good they could do to him, but instead they harassed him. You better teach those kids some lessons." she retaliated as both of the cops' face just turned white.
"Minne, you sure are good at small talk, huh?" The cops had to admit I'm great. I am, right?
"Wait, were you the cop who bought all the grapes from the supermarket?" Minne queried. "Yeah, why?" the cop with the hat questioned. "Oh, it's nothing." she replied.
"Anyway, I'll take this girl to the hospital to get her hand checked up as my partner escorts the other two back to their houses. Have a good night, Minne." the other cop addressed with a smile on his face.

Minne hobbled back to the bench to pick up the groceries that she left there and as she was making her way back home, the boy from earlier in the day walked up to me and said:
"Thank you, ma'am. I could've moldered in that spot for the rest of day if it wasn't for you. I really appreciate it."
"No worries. It was for the better, anyway." Minne gushed as the boy opens his mouth to say another sentence.
"By the way, how did you manage to outsmart that girl and break her fist? It didn't look like you did anything special, besides looking at the palm of your hand." he questioned.
Minne froze in terror, since he was this close to figuring out what she was capable of. "Oh, it's nothing. It's a little trick that I do." she improvised.
"Ah, alright. Well, I'll get going now, for it's getting pretty late. Goodbye!" he urged. Minne quickly called him out to ask one last thing.
"By the way, what's your name?" "The name's Marc Delter. I'm a highschool student at Archway High School. It's a school here." he answered. The boy then left her field of vision, as Minne took a stroll back to her dimly lit hut in the center of the dark town.

"Today was fun. I got to confront a few child gangsters, I got to save a boy, I managed to outsmart those daft cops, and I got m'self some good fruit. On the contrary to what I expected, this town isn't half-bad. Sure there can be flaws, but it's still pretty enjoyable." Minne wrote in her little journal.

"Perhaps mortals aren't so bad after all."