Chapter 4

As Minne had a surprisingly normal sleep, the way she woke up, however, wasn't so normal.

"Minne? Minne. Minne?!" A voice was echoing all throughout her head while she was asleep.

"MINNE!"

"OH GOD! Who the HELL woke me up?!" Minne raged as she switched her position on the bed from lying down to sitting up. She rubbed her eyes roughly as she saw...

"Marc."

"Did you REALLY have to wake me up in such an irritating way? I was sleeping peacefully! PEACEFULLY! Sleeping peacefully before YOU decide to tiptoe into MY ROOM to wake ME UP! What's the rush anyway?!" Minne just couldn't keep all that anger inside of her mind.

"Minne! You're finally awake! I got bad news..." Marc sighed in disappointment as he carefully explained:
"Minne, you're on the newspaper. That 'little' outbreak you had yesterday? It's no longer just little! It has become a nationwide issue!"
"Oh, god. I blame the stupid paper that made me freak out! Not Melanie, the DUMB PAPER! DAMMIT!" Minne carped as she stood up and head to the bathroom to brush her teeth.
"What exactly was the headline for the newspaper?" Minne muffled her words as she was brushing her teeth.
"Let's see... 'Old lady, supposedly wise, goes insane in the middle of Kinsfield'. Sounds bad, doesn't i-" Marc was interrupted as Minne spits the toothpaste out, preparing to say another word.
"WHY DO THEY KEEP CALLING ME OLD?! DO I LIKE THAT OLD TO YOU?!" Minne seethed as she lets out a huge groan of anger.
"Well, I guess I better deal with the paparazzi now." Minne said as a sky-blue light flashed around her, changing her clothes in an instant.
"Okay, now I'm convinced that you have some sort of great power that you're hiding." Marc suspected as he took a closer look at Minne. "You do look human, though. Don't you call yourself a 'marken'?" Marc wondered as he took a step back, hands on his hips.
"Yeah, I may call myself a marken, but that's not what I actually am." Minne replied.
"Let's head out and check what's happening outside."

Minne and Marc walks out of the hut as a pair, and was greeted with, just as Minne thought...

Paparazzi.

"Oh, god." she croaked.
Without saying a word, Minne took Marc's wrist and quickly retreated to her hut, which wasn't enough to avoid the unpleasant noise.
She quickly grabbed the silver key Melanie gave her before the incident.

Without letting go of his hand, Minne pulled out a stone tablet from her pocket with green carving, as gleaming green light surrounds them.

"WOAH! ARE WE THE ONLY ONES WHO CAN SEE THIS?!" Marc asked in amazement while closing his eyes to protect himself from
the brightness of the area.
"Yup. I made sure myself." Minne answered as Marc and her heard loud banging on the doors.
"Come on, rune! Hurry up and do your thing!" she shouted at herself as the little 'spell' was finally taking effect.

The pair was now gone from the hut, just in time for the paparazzi to bust in.

"What? They're not here? But we just saw them earlier..." one of them supposed.

Minne and Marc were transported to the library by the light. Unfortunately, there was someone there...

"Minne?" Melanie the Librarian called out as she peeked from behind the shelf.
"MELANIE! Make sure NO ONE enters this library until I get out!" Minne ordered, still clutching Marc's wrist.
"Where do I use this key?" Minne asked Melanie from the other side of the library, only hearing each other's voices.
"There's a well-hidden button on the corner wall of the History section, press it and a hallway will open up! Better make it quick since the door will close in exactly fourteen seconds! At the end of the hallway, there's a keyhole. Use the key then!" Melanie explained as she glanced outside, watching out for the paparazzi.
"Thanks, Melanie!" Minne thanked her while running to the History section, touching each wall finding the button, until she pressed it pretty high up, above her head.
The aforementioned hallway opened as she and Marc ran through as quickly as they can, slamming the key into a red padlock on the end of the hall.
They unlocked the door, and a room full of floating tablets was unveiled to them.
"What the hell is even happening?!?!?!" Marc whispered to Minne in confusion.
"It's about time I tell you the truth." Minne said.
"A large tribe of highly intelligent mages called the Memori used to thrive in a realm called Marken. Yes, that is where I got my 'name'. Errin, a greater entity of the High Lands created us, and we worshipped him as our leader and god. Each tribe was given common powers along with exclusive ones. The exclusive powers of the Memori were to control memories, and the ability to preserve or destroy them at our own will. The tribes were coexisting peacefully with other groups, until the creator of the Kaites, a tribe known to protect Marken from lost souls in Limbo, suddenly vanished from the High Lands, nowhere to be seen. He was responsible for guarding the exit from Limbo, so when he left, all the lost souls escaped and started to roam freely in Marken. Peace was disrupted, and the Gods from the High Lands were not pleased. They collectively sent various calamities to shower onto Marken, until the whole realm was completely wiped away from existence. The tribes managed to escape, but with time, we started to fade away, with another Memorus on the other side of the world and I being the only ones left. I could further explore that memory, but I wouldn't do it now." Minne explained with a tear running down her right eye.
"M'heart feels so heavy after hearing that story. You must have went through a lot while living as a Memorus." Marc bawled empathetically.
"Don't be sad. It's been long, and I've gotten over it. Anyway, since I now know where this little chamber is, I'd like to take you to your home." Minne offered as Marc's face brightened up.
"Yeah! Thanks, Minne!" Marc thanked her as he held her wrist in anticipation for the green light.
Minne pulls out another green rune from her pocket and throws it into the air.
"Also, did I mention that these runes are key to my power? Each color is a specific category of a rune, and the carving indicates what I'll do. Got it?" Minne asked.
"Yeah, now let's see where this takes us."

The same glowing, green light circles around the pair as they are transported, surprisingly, to Marc's front door.
"Here we are. Now, get in there and study, I heard the finals for your second semester is coming up soon. Go study to improve your grades, kiddo." Minne advised as she uses another green rune.
"Goodbye, Minne!" Marc said his farewell with a smile as Minne waves back with a little smirk.

Minne is then transported to the flat peak of a nearby mountain, and then sits to look at the rising sun while saying to herself:

"Ah, the joy and the pain of looking back."