Chapter 15 - Sam

Dean and Sam were refurnishing their wallet that night, namely, stripping every other player from their last dimes. And honestly, Sam was starting to feel very bored. He had been playing this dude, Max Fuller, for over an hour and had had the time to win 3000$ from him

Just as the rich boy said "all in" with a very faked poker face, the burner phone they had gotten from the vigilante vibrated in his pocket. He took it out while pushing all his chips at the center of the table, knowing that he had already won "All in" he sighed, getting up and gesturing to his phone "Excuse me for a sec"

He quickly went to the bathroom, the only place he could possibly hope to hear something in this nightclub. Once inside, he answered "Hello?"

"Are you good with a computer?" the modulated voice said, getting right to the point 

"Depends what you want me to do with it"

"I need you to research something for me"

"Sure, what is it?"

"Nodell Tower tragedy. I need you to check if there is any confirmation on the death of Garfield Lynns."

"That's odd. Wasn't that years ago? Why do you need me to do that? With your set-up, you could do that too"

"I'm testing the water with you. Two head is always better than one. Especially one near the top of the class in his law studies"

Sam chuckled at that "So you did your research on us then?"

"Call me if you find anything," the vigilante said before hanging up

Sam sighed and put the phone back in his pocket, going back to the table to take the 1500$ Fuller had bid.

"So he wants us to do research for him?" scoffed Dean as they climbed in the Impala

"Yeah. But just like he said himself, I think he's testing the water"

"For what? It's not like we're going to stick around for long"

"I know, but we might gain an allied in the region"

Dean agreed with a slight nodded "So how much did you make?"

"4500$. That Max Fuller is really a lousy player. He almost bored me to death"

"Was worth it though. All I got is 300$. These girls were good."

"Well, that probably because you switched from actual poker to strip poker along the way"

"You saw that?"

"God no! But I saw you smiling widely as you went to a VIP section. The one with one-way mirrors windows"

"As I said, they were good"

"Whatever, let's grab something to eat and go back to the hotel"

"Sure"

The following morning, as they were eating breakfast, Sam picked up the burner phone after finding a reasonable amount of information.

After 2 rings, someone picked-up "What did you find?" asked the voice

"Apparently, Garfield Lynns was declared dead after the Nodell Tower incident where his station house, who called themselves the fireflies intervened. I found his birth certificate and his second name, John, has a 1970's ford pick-up registered at it. The same vehicle was near all the fires where a former firefly was killed in the last six weeks."

"I had not found the birth certificate. There is something else that you could do for me"

"Hey, do we look like your errand boys or something?"

"No. I'll pay you if you do the other thing."

"What kind of payment?"

"Something useful for the kind of life you and your brother have right now"

"What do you need?"

"There's going to be a charity gala for the firefighters at the under-construction nightclub near my base. Lynns is probably going to show up for Chief Raynes"

"You want us to take him down?"

"No, you to keep a lookout for a man in fire gear. If you see him, call me. I'll take care of him while you help with the evacuation. Be there by 18h00 if you want in"

"Sure." Sam barely had the time to say before the line was cut

"So, he got another job for us?" asked Dean, as he finished his third plate of scrambled eggs 

"Yeah. He wants us to be at the charity gala in the under-construction nightclub and keep a lookout for the killer. He says he's going to take him down himself"

"What was that about payment?"

"He promised to pay us something 'useful for the king of life we have'"

"Wow, there's no privacy around here" scoffed Dean "So, we're doing it?"

"Sure. If he can't hold his own again, we will finish the job"

"Sounds like a plan. Meanwhile, I saw a gunshop around here, want to have pieces to our collection?"

"What did you see?"

"A mortar" Dean smiled gleefully