Chapter Ten

Currently, you were sitting in the observation lounge with Captain Picard and Data for a quick "surprise!" meeting about Data's thoughts of Lore being awoken. You were invited of course because you could offer insight into the situation, sort of like an Android counselor. 

You sat on the table. Picard cocked an eyebrow at you, "Did you learn this maneuver from Commander Riker?" he asked gesturing towards your weird sitting.

You grinned sheepishly but didn't leave your table seat. "Well...Lore seems...neat." You said changing the subject.

"He certainly is." Data said nodding slightly. 

"But I am also troubled by it describing you as imperfect" Picard said troubled as he paced back and forwards.

"Human language gives me difficulty, too, sir." Data said in his matter of fact voice. "Imperfect could mean I lack certain abilities he possesses." 

Picard didn't look so certain, "hmmm, I wonder...But the point of this is whether you and it have approximately have the same capabilities." 

Data nodded his head ever so slightly, "We do sir."

"It?" You asked quietly thinking there may be better-suited terms for a self-aware being. 

Picard looked at you in confusion.

"Your referring to him as 'it' suggests that, I, too, fit into the category of a thing." Data said elaborating. 

"Oh, uhh, I..."Picard's expression looked as if he had really stepped in it, "I see your point." He shook his hands desperately, he looked at you for help, you just shrugged. "My apologies." Picard said at last.

Data smiled, "Glady accepted, sir. As for Lore's abilities, his use of syntax and grammar suggests he was given human memories similar to my own."

"And you have equal physical strength and mental abilities?" Picard interrupted.

"I believe so, sir" Data said.

You wondered if they had the same memories and bodies where the difference between them lay. 

"Which requires that I now ask you...a very serious...question." Picard said looking awkwardly at the table, "Since the two of you...are so...closely related to each other..." 

Data furrowed his eyebrows in confusion before catching on, "The answer, sir, is that my loyalty is to you. and Starfleet. Completely." 

"Obviously..." You whispered quiet enough no one heard you. You knew he had to ask the question but you found it funny none the less, obviously, Data wasn't just going to become a traitor. 

Picard shook his head satisfied, "Thank you, Commander. I was certain of that." He left the room. 

You leaned across the table slightly so you could look at Data's face a little more clearly. You lowered your voice, "Data, I want you to keep me updated on Lore. I'm not sure how much I trust him, but besides that, I know it must be difficult to have someone so similar suddenly around. If you feel at all odd about any of it, please, let me know." 

Data smiled, "(y/n), I am incapable of any of the feelings which you suggest." 

You cocked your eyebrow slightly in irritated amusement, "I know you are. Come on hun, let's go. I know you are supposed to be returning to the bridge, and frankly, I could do with going to bed." 

Data nodded and you left for the hallways. 

"Where is Lore anyways?" You asked.

"I do not know." Data replied cocking an eyebrow.

"Hmm...I'm sure you'll find him. He's probably already trying to fill in your 'imperfect' gap with his 'perfect' one." You scoffed again at the memory, "I'm joking, of course, no one can replace you, you're too...you're you." 

Data looked confused.

"Don't worry about it." You chuckled. You looked up at him, still sensing there was a slight emotional response that was hanging around him, but you couldn't tell what it was. "Alrighty, I'll see you," you said smiling.

He smiled back, "Goodnight, Lieutenant." 

You nodded your head in response and waved goodbye as he went towards the turbolift and you towards your cabin. 

"Wait, Data!" You called as you ran to catch up with him.

"Yes?" He cocked his head.

You stood there, unsure of why you had even called him back, you supposed it was just the nagging feeling at the back of your head that somewhere, deep inside of him, he was feeling unsettled. You didn't know how you knew, or if you were even correct, but none the less you were sensing him having emotion. Ever since you had become an AI expert you knew that this was bound to happen, you wrote countless papers on it even. The fact of the matter was that humans could only go so far with building androids, but quickly they would take the matter into their own hands. Being much more intelligent than even the best programmers, it doesn't take long until they can program themselves infinitely more. And with intelligence, emotional responses do begin to emerge being part of the same network. Of course, even the smartest androids wouldn't know they were experiencing the beginnings of emotional knowledge even if it was staring right at them. You were beginning to suspect Data was the first of his kind without him even knowing it. A crucial step to machine evolution. 

"(y/n)?" He asked again in response to your silence.

You swallowed and looked up at him, not sure of how to even begin. "Data, I-"

He looked at you in slight confusion, "You seem to be in distre-"

 You cut him off by taking a step forward and wrapping your arms tightly around his back, placing your ear against his chest. Sometimes when words refused to work, a simple hug was the best solution. 

He stood in shock for a moment before lifting his arms and wrapping them around you tightly. You couldn't bring yourself to let go but you forced yourself to after several long seconds. You took a step back and looked up at Data. You were surprised to see that he had a little smile on his face. 

You turned and walked the other way quickly before he had the chance to question the interaction, you knew if he did, you might not even be able to explain it.

In no amount of time, you were home. After a nice shower and change of clothes, you flopped onto your bed and went to sleep. 

Only to be awakened sometime after by a red alert signal.