30

**The mention of sensitive topics in this story is purely for fictional purposes only. I highly condemn untoward acts to any genders and I respect all races. Please be assured that everything in here is fictitious.

"Hey, Lance," I half-smiled at Lance who is looking serenely at Mara and me. He walked towards the sofa and sat down. "I heard about... Janeth."

Mara looked at me, shook her head, then followed Lance. "Yes. I'll get you a glass," she said going to the kitchen.

I sat on the settee opposite Lance and I studied his expression. He looks... well, harmless. Like the Lance who eats with me during lunch.

"It's sad that that happened to her," Lance said, typing on his phone, then he looked up when Mara returned, holding a tray with a glass and some cookies.

Mara sat beside me, and I can feel her trembling. "So, what brought you here?"

"I wanted to visit you. Is that bad? I heard you're sick," Lance bit at the cookie.

Mara smiled then slowly grabbed my hand, she pressed something into it. I took a deep breath as Mara said "Not really sick. I just... I think it's stress."

"So, where did you hear about Janeth?" I asked, waiting for Lance to look at his phone again so I can see what Mara had put into my hand.

"Ah, I have my sources," he giggled. "Anyway. I'm relieved you're doing well, Mara. I thought you were really sick."

Mara smiled. "Thanks."

Lance took another cookie. We watch him eat. I took my handkerchief from my pocket and pretended to sneeze---

Quickly as I can, I tried to look at the what Mara had pressed into my palm.

My heart beat wildly as my eyes scanned the untidy scrawl on a piece of paper.

Someone at the backyard. Hide it.

I slowly lowered my hand and felt for the phone in my pocket. Lance looked at his phone.

I quickly removed the phone from my pocket just as Lance look up.

Mara stood, blocking me from Lance's view. "So, what's up... in... in--uhm--school? Many students when you arrived?"

Lance shrugged, "How do I know? I didn't pass by our room."

Mara sat back again. "Okay."

Lance stared at us for a while then took something from his pocket. Something like a credit card.

"Mara, remember this?" He raised the card so we can both see. It's the same card Kurt has. I could feel my knees tremble.

Mara nodded, "I saw that under your chair and gave it back to you."

"Yes. You asked me then what it was for, and I didn't tell you. Wanna know now?"

As Mara did not respond, Lance chuckled then sat up straight. "I'm going to tell you now. This," he flipped the card so we can see the back features. I could see the letters A, J, A, X embedded, "is my membership card at a very wonderful club I recently have joined. Well, not exactly 'recent' because I have been a member for almost a year. Anyway, this card is from--"

"Belus Limited." I said in bated breath.

Lance's brows raised. "How do you know?"

Mara glanced at me.

"I just saw a similar card."

For a moment, Lance seemed terrified, he took his phone and typed something. Then he smiled again and looked at us. "Good memory."