The Cool Mama!

Gennie

Her gaze was on me, I was nervous, I didn't know how to begin. Tears welled up in my eyes, I blinked not daring to let it drop.

She closed the novel in her hand and sat up. She took my chin in her hand, I was afraid to meet her eyes. Now I was paying for the sins I committed in New York City, the sin in America was now tormenting me in Nigeria.

"What is it?" She asked her tone low. She regarded me intensely, our eyes met and she frowned, leaving my chin, she went back to her book, flipping the pages.

This was the first step to the reaction I was dreading, the cool mama

Should I just lie and give myself more time to be ready to face her?

"Who is he?"

I heard her asked, I felt giddy as bile formed in my throat.

Wesley, he's Wesley Adams an American. I screamed inwardly.

"Excuse me, mom?" I had to be certain of the ground before I let the cat out of the bag.

"Who is he, Gennie? The father of your baby?"

My heart dropped, so did the tears in my eyes, and my palms grew sweaty. My eyes had given that away.

"I'm sorry Mom, I'm so sorry!" I cried.

She flipped over to the next page. It felt like an eternity before she looked up at me and asked.

"So you're pregnant! Gennie, you're pregnant!"

I wiped my tears, now wasn't the right time to, Wesley had warned me against it. He had said if I cried I was simply telling her I wasn't sure of what I wanted, I was scared of having a baby. So I didn't want to show that weakness. Not now!

"Yes, mother! I'm pregnant and I'm going to take full responsibility!" I said with my rehearsed tone.

I must say that startled her, she looked up at me.

'And maintain eye contact' Wesley's word filled my ears, I did just that.

Mom was shocked but continued staring at me in disbelief.

"Gennie do you know what a baby is?"

I had expected this question.

"Yes, Mom that's why I made the right decision to keep him!"

"Oh my God!" She hissed. "How dare you do this to me, Gennie!" Her voice rose.

"Mom this isn't about you, this is about me and what I want, this is about me and my child. It has nothing to do with you! I'll take care of him myself!" Mine rose as well.

"Easy for you to say!" She threw the book to the corner of the balcony perfect sign her temper was high.

"I never said it's going to be easy with me raising this child but I'll give it my best shot." My voice dropped, I knew Aunt Julie was eavesdropping by now. I  didn't mind.

"Who is responsible for your pregnancy, is he going to marry you?"

"He's Wesley, no we're not getting married, I'm going to be an unwed mom, and that doesn't affect me, the most important thing to me right now is my child!"

"Wesley? Where is he from and what does he do?"

"He's not from here, he's in the military!"

I said concealing the details.

"Where is he from? Gennie, who are his parents?"

"Mom, Wesley is American and his parents have nothing to do with this!"