Home Sweet Home

Gennie

Throughout that day, it was a bunch of different emotions. First anger, then irritation and then hate.

I threw my clothes into my suitcase, what a perfect vacation this was. I huffed, wondering why things never went the way I planned. My perfect plan for a perfect vacation was laid out but a man came out of the blue and made them fall astray.

It was a terrible idea to get involved with Wesley that way, I knew it from the start, the minutes my eyes spotted him at the party that night, I knew men as handsome as Wesley were nothing other than trouble, but since I was hoping for a Christmas romance that would end right underneath the mistletoe, senses weren't an option. 

I laughed bitterly at my stupidity, not every girl got lucky with men, I guessed I was one of them. The men I'd dated were the same. Wesley was different until I heard the vibrant voice of his wife, waiting for him at home.

My last relationship, I don't mean with Wesley, Wesley and I weren't anything serious other than a fling-gone-wrong, but my relationship with Harold, was, It was a mess!

I met Harold on my first day at work, he was just the perfect guy as I thought Wesley was, I fell instantly for him. Harold was my dreamed guy but then, everything ended, he'd dumped me like I meant nothing the minutes a new girl walked into the office.

I was tired of seeking fruitless romance, my mind was now made up to concentrate on myself and my career. Men were scums no matter how hard one twisted it, no matter how sweet they were from the start, they'll still end up as scums. It had gotten to the neck, enough, wasn't planning on getting involved with one anytime soon.

I closed my suitcase, everything was packed, was ready to leave America, the place that held tremendous fun until my wandering eyes spotted some dark-haired man on the dance floor, got closer and under until I realized he was too perfect to be mine. So now, I was going back home, to where I belonged.

With a scrunched face, I took one last look at the small card in my hand with contact info on it, deciding if to toss it in the wastebasket or inside my purse. After considering it for a while, I unclasped my purse and threw in Wesley's business card, he had given me that night when he first canceled on me, I should've run not drove away that night. A sigh left my mouth.

I went into the bathroom, had my bath, and got out, dressed up, and was ready.

Luckily, I could book a return flight back to Nigeria. Staying in New York was now difficult for me, not with Wesley still in the hotel, I couldn't risk bumping into him, and not with every single thing in the hotel reminding me of him. How the hell did I get so infatuated with him in just a few days? Again, another sigh escaped my mouth.

A valet took my suitcase downstairs. Sombrely, I looked back at the room one last time, trying not to let the memories of Wesley towering behind me by the window overflow.

Quickly, I followed the valet downstairs, praying deep within his raven head shouldn't pop up at any corner. The man at the counter smiled at me as I checked out of the hotel.

"I hope you enjoyed your stay?" He asked with a wide grin.

"Yeah absolutely!" Of course, I did until Wesley shared my table! No! Until he said he was married!

But Wesley actually made my stay fun! The little moments I spent with him, especially the night we'd shared together I knew was going to haunt my nights of sleep and the sex was going to haunt my future relationships. He was damn good!

~

It was already dark when I arrived at my apartment, I put in my keys, opened my apartment, and stepped in,  turned on the light. I stood motionless for sometimes, staring at my apartment, the only place I belonged. New York was several oceans away, so was Wesley. It felt so good to be home! Home sweet home!