Chapter 07

Sodapop and Steve sat at their usual table at the Dingo and waited for a waitress. Stephanie had just recently started working there to get extra money and it was terrible. People were rude to her if she put too much ketchup on something, but when she tried to fix it, they'd tell her off.

Sodapop looked into the kitchen, his blue eyes meeting Stephanie's sea green ones. Stephanie nervously looked away and felt her switchblade in her apron. She took it out of Brady's nightstand when he was asleep for this exact reason.

Steve noticed what was going on. "You should talk to her." He said.

"She's embarrassed by me." Sodapop shook his head, still watching Stephanie.

"Have you met Calvin Whitaker?" Steve rolled his eyes. "He's a Soc, he could've lied."

"No, she's rich and beautiful." Sodapop sighed. "She really doesn't want to be seen with me."

"Well, I guess you're right, buddy."

After a few moments of silence, Sodapop rested his head in his hands. "I just don't understand how someone with such a kind heart could have the audacity to say they were embarrassed by someone." He said.

"I don't know, man." Steve shrugged. "Cal is a dick."

"Table 3, Stephanie." Sarah, Stephanie's manager, stood in between Stephanie and the dishes she was washing.

"I-I can't do that table." She smiled uneasily.

"Why not?" Sarah obnoxiously smacked her gum around in her mouth.

"That's Sodapop." Stephanie whispered, eyeing the boy.

"I don't care if its Coffeebean." Sarah rolled her eyes. "Go."

Stephanie mentally cursed Sarah, making her way to the table. "Welcome to the Dingo, how may I take your order?"

"I'll take two bacon cheeseburgers, no mayo, three orders of fries, and a basket of potato skins." Steve said. "Oh, and a Coke."

"Got that." Stephanie muttered.

"I'll take a water." Sodapop watched the floor intensely.

"Your total is $2.65, I'll come back with your food and drinks." Stephanie forced a smile and rushed back in the kitchen.

"She didn't look embarrassed." Steve pointed out.

"She ain't livin' off daddy's money." Sodapop scoffed. "She's gonna try and get the best tip she can."

Steve sighed. The boys waited for Stephanie to get back to their table.

"Alright, your order that I'm not gonna say and a water." Stephanie took another plate off of the tray. "Here's some eggs with grape jelly, on me."

Sodapop's face flushed at the sight of eggs with grape jelly mixed in them. He'd only mentioned them one time. It was when he told her the time Ponyboy had spilled jelly in his eggs, but he actually liked it.

"Thank you." Steve nodded. After Stephanie left, he slapped Sodapop on the shoulder. "See? She still cares enough to give you free eggs and grape jelly."

"So you think I should talk to her?" Sodapop chewed his bottom lip.

"Yes!" Steve fist pumped the air in victory. He's always thought Stephanie was the stuff, but when he hears Sodapop talk about her, he can't help but be supportive of him.

Stephanie finally came by to pick up dishes from a table. "Hey, Steph?" Sodapop said.

"Yes?"

"Can we talk outside?" Sodapop gestured to the door.

"Will it be quick?"

"Yeah."

Stephanie hesitantly nodded and followed Sodapop to her car. She got in the driver seat and Sodapop sat in the passenger seat. She felt in her apron to make sure the switchblade was still on her.

"What do you need?"

"Why'd you choose to work here instead of the station with Steve and me?" Sodapop asked.

"This job just came up." Stephanie shrugged.

"That's not true."

"Wha- yes it is."

"I called your house about a week ago and your uncle said you were out with a guy named Calvin-"

"Why do you know my business-"

"No, let me finish." Sodapop said. "Not even ten minutes later Calvin Whitaker came to the station and said you were embarrassed by me."

"Uncle Brady said you killed him." Stephanie said. "You also killed that Soc, cut him to pieces."

"Now, I ain't never killed anyone." Sodapop held his finger up. "I don't know who the hell told you that-"

"Calvin." The two said in unison.

"So, you aren't a murderer?"

"You aren't embarrassed by me?"

"Sodapop, I could never be embarrassed by you." Stephanie smiled. She rested a hand on his cheek. "You're amazing."

Sodapop licked his lips. His eyes flickered from Stephanie's eyes to her lips. Stephanie's cheeks tinted pink as Sodapop rested his hand on the side of her face. He moved it down to her shoulder and back up before pressing a light kiss to her lips.

Stephanie let her eyes close to enjoy the moment. Even when Sodapop's lips left hers, she kept her eyes shut. They slowly fluttered open to see Sodapop smiling at her.

"I've been wanting to do that since we met." He ran his thumb back and forth across her cheek.

"Then you won't mind if I do it again?" Stephanie smiled.

Sodapop shrugged, a grin plastered on his face. Stephanie leaned in and pressed her lips to his again.

"What do you say we go on a real date?" Sodapop held Stephanie's chin. "That's why I called your house. I was gonna ask you to meet me at the park for a date."

"I'd love to." Stephanie blushed. "But for now, let's drop Steve off and kick Cal's ass."