Sectumsempra

He couldn't see a way out. His father was disgraced in the eyes of the Dark Lord, unable to kill even a twelve-year-old girl. His mother was under constant threat of death should he or his father misstep once more. He had an impossible task and was unsure he could even do something so terrible. To make matters worse, Potter had taken to following him all over the castle and it was only a matter of time before he was caught and got his mother killed, he was sure.

It wasn't long after they got back that he started going to Myrtle's bathroom. After he had told her he was gay, she had quickly moved on from her crush on him. She was a great friend and often comforted him when he could no longer handle the weight of his task. Unfortunately, she was not there that day. He wasn't sure where she could be but he was somewhat grateful to have a chance to breakdown in private. It seemed it wasn't as private as he thought, however.

He heard the door open and swung to face it, his wand drawn. He said the first spell to come to his mind, Crucio, but it seemed his attacker was faster. He didn't even hear the curse and if he did, it was immediately forgotten at the searing pain he felt as he was practically ripped open. He could feel the puddle of warm blood forming where he fell and was relieved. If he was simply killed in an accident, maybe his mother would not be punished for his failure.

But he didn't die. He hadn't realized he passed out until he woke up. He found himself looking at the familiar ceiling of the hospital wing and his eyes watered with disappointment. He started to raise his arm to brush away the stray tears that escaped but was stopped by excruciating pain. Apparently he made a noise because someone was instantly by his side.

"Draco? Can you hear me?" It was Severus. He was looking at him with worry, a look he had not seen since he was a child and he had fallen off his new broom. Draco was confused to catch a glimpse of guilt as well.

"Mhm." Draco hummed, not sure he could speak.

"Potter was an idiot as usual and used a spell he didn't understand. It's called Sectumsempra and it's meant to cut someone so bad that they shouldn't be able to be healed. I was able to successfully perform the counter-curse but the cuts have to heal naturally." Severus explained to him. The guilt was back, stronger this time.

"How long?" He managed after a moment.

"A few days, hopefully." Severus answered.

"Potions?" He asked, hoping to get one for the pain.

"Oh, of course." Severus disappeared for a moment before arriving with Madam Pomfrey and a glass vial filled with potion.

"Hello, Draco. I'm going to let Severus help you with your pain potion and then I'm going to run a few tests to see how you're healing." She explained to him. Severus sat him up, with much pain on Draco's part, and poured the potion into his mouth. Pomfrey was quick and informed him he was healing faster than she anticipated and should be able to leave in just two more days.

"Is Potter being punished?" Draco asked Severus when the healer had left.

"He currently has detention with me but I am pushing for him to expelled." Severus sneered at the thought of Potter. Draco knew he should be happy to hear his godfather was trying to get his enemy expelled but he was immediately against it.

"Don't do that. I was going to hurt him too but he was quicker." Draco protested.

Severus looked at him oddly but nodded. He and Draco chatted lightly for another half hour. Severus left with a promise to be back later and to inform his friends that they could visit tomorrow after classes.

Draco sighed and let his eyes shut once again.

In the Gryffindor common room, Harry sat hunched over by the fire with his face in his hands and a guilty conscience. He could vaguely hear Ron and Hermione arguing on the couch. Ron thought Harry did the right thing and Hermione was appalled by his actions. He had to agree with Hermione as he pulled back to see his bloody hands. He had washed the blood off hours ago but it was permanently imprinted on his mind.