Chapter 32. Leila Romanov

It was in the afternoon,

Sizzle sizzle

A large animal was hung on a small rotating stick under a large hot campfire. There was a little boy who was resting with his back against a tree stump. He had his eyes fixed on the meat in front of him as if he was extremely hungry.

About five meters from him was a girl of a similar age. She had deep dark navy blue hair with an extremely well-proportioned face, her extremely weak frail body laid on a mattress of leaves as an occasional twitch would shake her body involuntarily.

Suddenly, a beautiful pair of symmetrical electric blue eyes opened as the girl suddenly sat up. Her confusion-filled face curiously swept over around the area as her tiny eyes rapidly moved around.

Sensing her move around, Lex glanced towards her and their eyes met in a deadlock.

"Am I in heaven?" she suddenly spoke out.

"Hahahahahaha," Lex broke out in laughter as he desperately held his stomach trying to stop the laughter.

Seeing his reaction, the girl gave him an angry look as she asked, "what so funny?"

"Nothing, nothing. Yes, you are in heaven. I am God," replied Lex as he showed off his best hero pose.

"You are not God," interrupted the girl after looking at Lex once again.

"Was it you that saved me?" she asked.

"Yeah, it was annoying to do but I got through with it in the end. You're very lucky that I got to you in time," spoke Lex.

"What happened to you? It's not every day that you see a child like you with a self-inflicted stab wound," asked Lex in curiosity as he pointed at the girl's wound on her waist.

"Well, I wa-,"

Grumble grumble

Just before she could continue speaking a loud rumbling sound came from her small stomach. Immediately she was embarrassed as she covered her tummy with both hands.

"Haha, I knew that you would be hungry, here come. I made some food for you. You can tell me about yourself while eating," spoke Lex as he walked to the campfire and started chopping the pieces of meat from the animal.

The little girl immediately ran after him and sat down next to him with her eyes wide open completely focused on staring at the aromatic, tender meat in front of her.

Lex walked and cut a few pieces of food and brought it to the girl and they began to eat.

It seemed like the girl was absolutely starving as she instantly gobbled up the food, not even leaving a crumb or piece on the floor.

Lex began the conversation by asking, "ok, so why don't you tell me a little bit about yourself?"

The little girl nodded and started speaking softly, " My name is Leila Romanov. I am from the small village of Solara. I was an orphan but someone in the village was kind enough to take me in. I am eight years old now."

"I see. Tell me about how you got the wound," Lex asked.

Leila paused a bit but then regained her composure and began, "Well... You see, it was a sacrificial day. Our village has this sect that we gain protection from and in exchange for protection, we must sacrifice anything that they ask for on this day. That certain day, I was very eager to see this sect so I went and shoved myself into the front of the crowd but it was a bad choice as there was a boy from the sect that had some noble identity and when he saw me, he wanted me and asked for me during the ceremony. My parents refused but were assaulted by the villagers and the sect members. They told me to run while they would protect me and delay them. Then, I ran into this forest somehow but an old man managed to catch up to me. I really didn't want to go with him so I took his knife and tried to stab him but he was too strong so I decided to stab myself in an desperate attempt to not get taken back."

"I see," said Lex as he suddenly stood up and walked to her. He stood there for a few seconds with a completely devoid emotionless face that caused Leila's heart to thum with fear.

Lex raised his hand and brought it all the way up.

'Oh no! He is also here for me. I'm going to die,' she thought as she closed her eyes . She did not have the will to resist and move anymore.

Pat... Pat

'Huh? Thought Leila as she opened her eyes in confusion.

Lex's hand fell and started patting Leila's little blue head.

"You poor girl. Sigh... Don't worry, you are fine now. Here, eat some more until you are full. I want to take you to the village but we will have to find and get permission from my brother and sister Aurie, " Spoke Lex as he warmly rubbed her hair while smiling innocently.

Leila was completely shocked, in the village she was never treated this well and people would often only look at her because of her beauty but this boy gave her a very warm-home like feeling which she only felt from her parents.

She did not have time to think long as Lex had brought her another serving of food.

"Eat as much as you want. I'm going to go train by the river. Call me if you need anything, " Said Lex as he slowly walked towards the bank.

Upon approaching, he closed his eyes and gently placed his eyes on the water surface. Then he circulated a strange energy through his body and suddenly raised his hand. A vortex looking tunnel of water appeared hanging on his hand.

Swish

Lex swiped his hand in a horizontal direction at the water and a huge explosion occurred as about a large amount of clear blue water flew about fifty meters into the air.

Seeing this scene, Leila was absolutely shell shocked, she had never seen anyone do this before Especially, the energy that he used to attack, she had never seen it before. Back when she was saved, she had thought that Lex was just a medical student but it seemed like he also knew how to fight as well.

Thirty or so minutes passed as Lex continued training while Leila was about to finish the meat that Lex had roasted.

Suddenly a rustle sounded in the green bushes behind and the voice of a young girl called out.

"Hey Lex!"