Chapter 2: Sunken Abbey

Alice

Our first big mission was a resounding success! The Union's leaders gave praise to Yhidawach, who was already rising through the ranks... Not that he needed to, it was mostly a formality that he graciously agreed to.

And so we come to our next mission. To travel west so far until we reach the Sunken Abbey. An ancient structure as grand and old as the Silent Cathedral itself. Up until a few months ago it was safe to enter its holy halls.

We are now entering Silad's Monastery. A priestess was the only living figure apart from us in here.

She was dressed in traditional priestess clothes, and as such would not talk to other women, not even us Arid, Yhidawach would have to take over for us despite being the silent type.

The divinity that's worshipped here is the goddess of fertility, Arioch.

Only women can be priests and they can only talk to men. Often times in the past, these same women would run the nurseries and you cannot become a priestess unless you've had a child once yourself.

It was not uncommon for soldiers who did not have wives or Arid women, to use the priestesses to release their Sins.

That much hasn't changed today, but not every country had these temples. I couldn't tell because I can't see his face but I'm certain that Yhidawach had no clue of this goddess or the purpose of this temple.

The monastery was large, the second largest building in the capital's city. The outside was decorated with stone statues of the goddess and the inside was filled with paintings, it even had pristine stained glass windows with a pregnant woman's design upon them.

The priestess was of the Crowned Men, she was pretty, but the real eye catcher was her quite large breasts, they were practically spilling out of her dress. You could never enter battle with those, unless you wanted to suffocate your enemies. Still, men flock to her no doubt.

"Ahh you must be Sir Yhidawach! I have many questions for you..."

Her voice was high pitched but soothing and breathy, now that I have a good look at her I can see that she has dark brown eyes and amber hair... her ears are also shaped like daggers, she must have hidden it with her hair before, but the habit on her head is making that impossible now.

"I have only one for you." He spoke with little emotion.

"Oh my! Have I offended you in some way?"

"Not at all, priestess."

"Mary. That is my name."

"Priestess, I understand that we're to head for the Sunken Abbey but pray tell, why?"

"Oh dear, please call me Mary sir Yhidawach. It would be my honor... Well, the abbey is important to us because it gives the people hope. To know that it is inhabited by those low creatures is infuriating. A blatant mockery of our Holy Mother."

"Would not the spilling of blood on its walls also be disrespectful?"

"Oh no! I am certain that Mother Arioch would only wish to welcome you in her arms more if you kill those unholy wretches."

This nun had quite the savage and pious mouth on her.

Yhidawach seems no different from the time we first met him.

"You are certain of this... Mary?" He seemed to struggle with her name. As if even speaking it was difficult.

"Yes... Ah Sir Yhidawach... Would you... take off your helmet for me?"

So direct!

"Why?"

"I would like to see your face."