Chapter twenty-five

33 BC (Alexandria, Egypt)

I stormed through the corridors in the palace. All the servants bowed and people looked at me like I was a god which was not especially weird considering what Cleopatra told them. The second I was outside the big door, some guards opened it and everyone cleared from my way. In front of the big windows, I saw the neat silhouette of Cleopatra looking out over her city.

"I need to speak with you." I said with a steady voice in the ancient Egyptian language, which only took me one year to learn as I came here. "It is important."

Cleopatra turned to me and I looked at the servants and guards by her side, making them leave us. We looked at each other for a long time before Cleopatra pulled out her arms in a gesture to get me to speak up.

"Well?"

"What you are doing is extraordinarily stupid. You will not survive the next Roman attack."

"But, of course I will. I have you by my side and they do not have an Azusis."

I let the silence fill the room, before I let my words take its place.

"You will not have an Azusis neither any longer."

She exhaled slowly and crossed her arms over her chest.

"Is that so?"

"Yes, it is." I answered her. "I am sick of your games. You have changed and do not value my advice any longer. I have kept your empire and reputation alive and blooming long enough."

A grin spread on her lips.

"This is not about me not listening on your advice, is it? This is about the spells, am I right?"

"No one is happier than me to see the Roman Empire crumble, however, love spells to tear the Romans apart is a step too far."

Cleopatra started chuckle.

"Do not pretend this does not have anything to do with you not being able to have children. Do you not think that makes enchantresses get the overhand? Being able to start a family."

I could do nothing but just looking at her.

Did she really go there?

She started cruising over the floor all the way to me. Her hands corrected my clothes thoroughly before her dark eyes climbed up towards my face. The silence was as thick as water in the room, but none of us did anything to break it until she sighed.

"We are your only family, Clarissa. We are the only ones who care about you and if you walk out from this palace to never return, you will lose us and will not find people to care for you like we do." she took a pause as we observed each other. "Well, this is how we are going to play this out. You stay and help us through the next Roman attack and we continue take care of you. You will never have to live in poverty and concern about the next day. What do you say?"

I straighten my back and looked down at her.

"Do you want to know something? I have this ability to see the purity of people's souls and tell if people lie or not. I do not know if that is a warlock-thing or a Celt-thing, but I am going to let you in on a secret." I took a pause, but not a long one, just enough to really catch her interest. "You are on your way of losing your soul in this game you are playing. Some years ago, you actually were a good person, even if you tried to hide it, but you have lost that part of you. I personally, hope you can find it for the sake of your children. Because you are right about one thing, and one thing only. I really do like children."