Chapter three

1734 AD (O'Brians' land, Scotland)

"My lady?" I heard behind me and saw the man from the forest, who sat upon the white beautiful stallion, standing in the edge of the mirror in the golden frame in which I was looking.

I turned around slowly and looked at him. He was standing there in his full highness, expensive nobility clothes bowing down for me? Someone everyone has resented for centuries. It felt wrong, in an oddly good way. It was quiet while I gathered my thoughts; studying his every move.

"Who are you – really?" I asked somewhat doubtful to the reality of it all. "A man of noble English birth running around the highlands rescuing women in need? I somehow doubt that."

A careful smile cracked upon his lips.

"My name is Sir Nicholas De Grey, Duke of Edinburgh, at your service. Thus, my visit despite my 'English birth' as you so firmly put it. By that, I hope you could see it as less of a problem, my lady. However, I could ask you why it is though, even your accent is His majesty's English."

I slightly snorted by the thought.

"I am certainly not a Londoner. I have just happened to spend a significant amount of time there. I guess it influenced my accent and the fact that if you talk as a highlander you do not get the respect you deserve."

There was something in his deep blue eyes that I did not quite expect. A mix of compassion, shame and anger. I felt how I relaxed a bit. Perhaps, my hunch had been right. The possibility of him being trustworthy rose slightly by the shown signs of empathy.

"If you do not mind me asking, my lady, but who are you?"

A chill went down my spine.

Who am I? If he knew that, he would kill me, would he not?

As I felt the need to take control over the situation again, I smiled again in a shade of mysterious and before I walked over the floor towards the big doors, I stated calmly.

"I thank you for your kindness, but I should continue my travels."

Depending on his choice of action, I would know, and though I began walking directly after I finished my sentence, I did not take more than a few steps before he interrupted me.

"No, please, my lady," he said as I reached the door and found him running after me. "It's dangerous for anyone to travel this late at night. Only God knows what is out there. Please stay. At least until the sun goes up so you will at least see what you will be facing. You would stay as my personal guest."

I looked down at his perfect face to consult my alternatives. He had a solid point. It was pitch black outside, but the fool who dared cross blades with me, even when I had no sight, would be sorry. Furthermore, the fact that I had a perfect night vision spoke for the continuation of my journey too. On the other hand, I have not had a good night's sleep for quite a long time and in a bed all the more.

I let him lead me up the giant stairs up to the second floor, through the corridors, all the way to a beautiful room with a poster bed in the size of one that would belong to a queen. The walls were covered in fabulous wallpapers in shades of green, matching the big curtains hanging elegantly up towards the walls, making it possible to see out the enormous windows towards the big garden.

"I have never seen such a gorgeous bedroom."

I saw how Sir Nicholas looked at me dreamily with a careful, a bit shameful smile.

"And it is yours, my lady. For as long as you need."

I cannot resist to turn to him and admire his alluring person.