Ch 7: Flirtation

"Are you sure you're okay with just giving me these clothes?" Kali had asked for the third time that afternoon.

Her hair was still damp from finally getting a bath. She braided it back still wet.  Her skin felt refreshed and her muscles weren't screaming as badly after soaking in the hot water for a while. Now she stood in a thin slip that justified as underclothes in Hyrule, holding clothes that Malon handed to her.

Malon crossed her arms and raised a brow, "I'd be happy to let you run off in those sweaty, dirty clothes you came in wearing if you'd like."

Kali frowned and silently began to get dressed in whatever Malon had provided for her. Link was still outside taking down the course that Malon had set up for her that morning to practice basic jumps and tight turns.

When she woke up that morning, she could barely move and Link had to grab her hands to help her sit up in bed. Her groan of pain had been so loud that it ended up waking Malon. Her father Talon did not budge.

She had just briefly met him for dinner the night before but he hadn't left much of an impression on her. He was pretty quiet except to tease Link about marrying his daughter, which made Malon blush pink.

Link laughed it off like it truly was just a joke and Kali had to resist the urge to cringe.

When she had finished dressing she looked down at herself. She was surprised to find herself in a pair of comfortable pants. It seems like most women here tend to lean more towards wearing skirts and dresses for their daily attire.

They were dark brown, and her shirt was a lavender color with dark blue trim and short sleeves. It felt so much better than her old, reeking clothes that had been so soaked in sweat that it clung to her skin.

"Thanks," she said, smiling a little as she began to pull on her boots.

Malon lingered, staring down at her boots with her hands folded behind her back.

Once Kali had finished lacing her boots in silence she raised a brow at her.

"What is it now?" she asked.

"I had an idea." Malon said quietly.

Another awkward moment of silence passed and Kali sighed, "And?"

"I'm going to lend you Corra, so that you can get around more easily. But every time you're finished with her, I'd like for you to bring her back here." Malon said, her cheeks flushed.

Kali furrowed her brows, trying to figure out why Malon was suddenly being so generous towards her. Then it clicked in her brain. If she has to bring Corra back once she's done, she thought Link would come along - so he will visit more often.

"He's not going to be with me every time, y'know." Kali said, leaning her hands back onto the bed.

Malon looked up now, frowning.

Before she could start to argue, Kali raised a hand, "I'm just being honest. Don't start with me."

Malon kept frowning but seemed to resign herself with a huffed sigh.

"Then..when he's with you," She added.

Kali smirked a little and stood, "Alright, that seems fair for you lending me Corra. But he's not gonna know unless you actually tell him."

Malon shrugged and started picking at the fabric of her skirt nervously, "I know, just him being around is enough for me right now."

Kali blinked, surprised. She tried to imagine a relationship with someone where simply being around them was enough for her. Where their presence made her feel so happy that every other problem seemed to just fade. Maybe not disappear completely, but at least not seem so dire all the time.