[Chapter 1]

Delayed

Who knew one word with seven letters could cause this much dissatisfaction. I didnt wake up at 3am in the morning to catch a flight to Spain to see the words Delayed boldly written on the screen.

Sighing in defeat, I make my way towards the seats lined up against the window which are suprisngly unoccupied. Dragging my red suitcase along the carpert floor, I soon take a seat on one of the cushioned seats. I instinctly take out my cellphone to see multiple missed calls from Shane, my ex boyfriend but also my best friend.

I contemplate wether or not to call him back or not. We were together two years through highschool and I was very happy in the relationship. But by the looks of it ending, Shane didn't enjoy spending time with me since he cheated on me at the night of the graduation party and found his satisfaction in another women.

To say in honesty, I wasn't very heart broken. I was suprised myself. I tried thinking about the incident of him being with another girl but it never seemed to have phased me. I guess it's because originally, we have been childhood bestfriends and I've always put his happiness infront of mine.

When he told me himself about cheating on me, he said it wasn't the fact that I wasn't a great girlfriend, it was the fact that we only saw each other as best friends this whole time. Through our time as being together the furthest we've been together is making out and holding hands.

So for now, all we ever will be is bestfriends who once dated.

"Hey, Shane.", I say over the phoneline I didn't even know I dialled.

"Naomi! Where are you? Why haven't you been picking up my calls?", he exclaims in distress.

"Calm down, I'm okay."

"That wasn't the answer to either of the questions I asked you, Nao."

"It's my brother. He's in Spain, playing in some football team called Real Madrid or something."

"And?"

"I'm leaving to go see him, Shane. Today."

When I was around fifteen years old, my older brother, Dane, left us to go spark his future career in becoming a football player who played for a cup match. My parents were furious at the fact of my brother seeing ridiculous dreams and forced him to change his mind by persuing a degree in university. Dane didn't agree one bit and one early morning he came into my room wishing me his last words I never will forget.

'We'll meet again little sis, I promise. Be safe and take care of Mom & Dad while I'm gone. I love you.', those were his last words before planting a kiss on my forehead.

For a second I only thought he was only going to be gone for a while, but after waiting for over a year I knew my brother was never going to come back. Now that I've turned nineteen and am on my own two feet, I just really wanna see him. I've waited too long

I just miss him too much to sit around and forget he ever existed. I'm not like my parents.

"In Spain? Are you nuts!", Shane shrieks over the line. "What about your parents? Do they know you're going?"

"No, and please cover for me? They shouldn't know I'm flying across the world to see him.", I plead.

"But Naomi, how will you find him in a country of thousands?", he points out.

I sigh, "I don't know, but I have to find him. I've waited long enough, Shane."

Shane is silent for a couple of seconds before saying,"I'm just worried, Naomi. I don't think you should go alone."