Boneyard

When we get back to the docks it's super crowded. There where a bunch police cars and one or two ambulances. We watch as they move someone through the crowd of officers with a stretcher. The five of us move to a table closer to the police tape.

We can't see much but it's a better view than the one we were getting from the boat. Already sitting at that table is a girl I hardly recognize as one of John B's friends. I don't know anything about her much less name. I just know she's a grade below us, but that's pretty much it. "Who's that?" John B asks her.

"It's Scooter Grubbs. He was out during the storm." She clarifies as we watch them roll him away. A women, who I'm guessing is Mrs. Lana, stoppa them and weeps over the body. "Check out this pic I got. Dead body."

"Insane." Kie said looking at the small screen.

"Holy shit." Pope gasps.

"Gross." I complain gently pushing the phone away from me. I've always been uncomfortable with death. Seeing someone I know's lifeless body isn't something I think I can handle right now.

"What kind of boat did he have?" JJ asked nonchalantly. I quickly jab him in the side telling him to shut up.

"Somehow, that dirtbag copped a brand-new Grady-White. Everyone's out looking for it." The girl says causing the five of us to look at each other worriedly. If you ask me what the odds or that his was the boat we found, I'd say pretty good. After all of the events of this morning we all decided that it would be best to have a group meeting at the Château.

"Okay. So, um... we didn't see anything." Pope says coming in and sitting next to me and Kie. "We don't know anything. We need to have total and complete amnesia."

"Actually, Pope's right for once." JJ agreed putting away his lighter and standing from his seat. "See, I agree with you sometimes. Deny, deny, deny."

"Guys, we can't keep that money." Kie speaks up.

"Okay. Not all of us can afford unlimited data plans, Kiara."

"No, Kie's right. We have to pass that off to Lana Grubbs. Otherwise, it's bad karma." I pipe in.

"Bad karma to be implicated in a felony, too." Pope adds. "We gotta go dark."

"If that means we get to keep the money, then I agree." JJ smiles.

"Where not keeping the money!" I tell him. "It could be blood money! We don't know!"

"Elle's right." B says shocking all of us. It's not often that he takes anyone's side over JJ's. Especially when it comes to money. Unless it's incredibly stupid. "Just think about it. This is Scooter Grubbs we're talking about. Same dude that's buying individual cigarettes at the Porthole."

"Shit, one time I saw this dude begging for change in the Save-A-Lot parking lot because he needed gas." He continues. "We're talking about a dirtbag marina rat who's never had more than 40 bucks in his pocket, and all of a sudden, he's got a Grady-White? Just sayin'." Eventually we got bored chilling in the Château so we decided to take some of John B's dad's pôles and go to the dock by his house.

"All right, so think about it, Pope. How does a marina rat get a Grady-White?" B asks from beside him as we watch Pope and JJ fish.

"We're still on this?" Kiara complains to me causing me to giggle.

Pope takes in a deep breath before answering. "Prostitution."

"Ew, what? No." I cringe. The image of Scooter Grubbs as a prostitute now haunting me forever.

"Square groupers, bro." B corrects him. "Okay, flying under the radar, no aerial surveillance. They don't do that stuff during a hurricane. What does that mean? JJ?" John B points to JJ awaiting his answer, which he happily and correctly obliged to.