THE PHONECALL

JAYSON

I stare down into the busy Manhattan Street, from my father's room, as I think about the proposal that my father presented to me yesterday and wait for Johanna to pick up my call.

The proposal of an official trip for summer internship recruitment of Adams & Co, to London and Boston.

Unusually, Johanna did not even tell me before deciding to choose the Boston part of the recruitment trip. 

I patiently wait, as I hear her caller tune go on and on. But, when I finally hear her pick it up, I waste no time at all.

"Hey, Jo. It's-"

"Yes, I know it's you, Jay. How may I help you, dork?"

I roll my eyes, as I hear her respond absentmindedly.

"Why did you choose Boston over London? You know how I feel about going to London."

I mumble the last part to her as I ask her, point blank, because there was no point beating around the bush with the person who was literally in the center of it all as a silent spectator.

"Firstly, I went there last year to the same colleges. Secondly, the colleges we selected for Boston are new. You wouldn't be able to handle it alone, and I really don't want to stress dad about it."

So, she really thought this through. This is not an impulsive decision.

"Right, I agree. I thought there was some other reason. Good to know that there is not."

I agree with her. But, it is followed by a momentary silence, as I hear her roughly sign on something, while she patiently waits on the call.

"Jayson, isn't it funny?"

She chuckles.

"What is funny?"

I humorlessly ask her.

"Well, there used to be a time when Heather was the only person you wouldn't be anxious around. But, look at you now. All fidgety and jittery, just with the thought of meeting her. You have almost put all her hard work on you, to waste."

She conveys her very honest and unfiltered opinion while I take a deep breath, not wanting to accept the truth. But, she continues anyways.

"Do you really think that you will simply bump into her, just because you are going to the college where she is doing her undergraduates in?"

I shrug at her, but I realize that she can't see me obviously. So, I reply to her.

"Well, we might. I don't even remember the last time I properly talked to her, after she left for London. She stopped calling and texting, when she saw that I had gradually stopped responding and –"

"Wait. You stopped responding?!"

She nearly screeches into her phone, and subsequently, I pull away my phone from my ear. But, I continue, nonetheless.

"I mea-"

But, Johanna cuts me off.

"No. No. You listen to me Jayson Mathew Adams."

I immediately fall silent, already expecting the forthcoming onslaught because she obviously did not just call me by my full name out of delight.

"I cannot believe I am saying this aloud and to you, out of all the people, but it has to be said. You are the biggest jerk ever. I cannot believe you stopped responding to the girl, who would pick up your calls even if you called after ten years of not talking to her. She will be damn pissed, of course, but she'll respond anyways."