j.y¹

relationship: star-crossed lovers
warnings: non-direct homophobia
word count: 1k
published: 07.16.20

the echoes of laughter rang through yunho's ears as he trudged through the field of people. he didn't want to hear them, they were bragging the feelings he'd never felt. the bright lights of the fairgrounds only made him feel more hollow inside.

he still remembered the face from 4 years ago. just to remember the mere silhouette made his heart calmly ache. it haunted his memories, but it was also what kept him going.

he was in a constant state of trying to grasp onto whatever memory he could; he'd already forgotten the once vibrant memory of his embrace. he was left to settle himself with the crumblings of a beautiful relationship that only hurt them in the end.

yunho was frustrated with himself. he wanted to forget the real reason he was at the fairgrounds, he wanted to forget the reason he hated everyone around him smiling and laughing. he wanted to forget everything and remember one thing; y/n.

he hadn't seen him in 4 years and he could only blame himself. he blamed his parents first, he blamed his age, he blamed everything but himself and what he could have done. he fretted over what his parents wouldn't do rather than what he could have.

his parents and y/n's were not accepting of the relationship they desired. they believed they were meant to be only friends and never anything more.

their relationship being exposed resulted in y/n sent to a boarding school in france. by now they've graduated high school and are juniors in college. but yunho didn't know where the other was, how to contact him, or anything. he was desperate.

he'd gone on countless dates with girls, his parents setting them up. they wanted to make sure he only studied and was with someone that could actually fit up to their standards; at this point, their only prioritized standard was to be a female.

all of them failed. lasting no longer than a month because of how "boring" he was. he wasn't boring, he just didn't and couldn't love them the same way he did y/n. it frustrated him as much as it did his parents.

why was he so caught up on that boy? why is he being so sensitive? he needs to be a man and treat his girlfriend correctly.

he didn't want to care for anyone. he didn't want anyone to depend on him. he wanted to depend on someone. he's been held to different expectations his whole life; grades, females, societal gender roles, just his damned life in general.

but perhaps that was all he was meant to do—meet expectations and shut up about his complaints.

-

"yunho, come look at this sweater. we need new clothes for the date i set you up with. it's okhee's daughter, soojin." the mother beckoned, holding up a fleece sweater.

"mom, can i just get this?" he held up a black t-shirt, sighing at her words.

"you want to wear that atrocious thing to a date with a fine young woman? if your father dressed like that, you wouldn't be here."

"who said i wanted to be here?" he mumbled.

"what was that? what are you over there mumbling about? nothing—that's what i thought. now try this on." she forced the sweater into his arms and pushed him toward the fitting rooms.

he cursed under his breath as he tried the fabric on, huffing as he shoved the curtain to the side, showcasing it to his mother.

she clapped her hands and an obnoxious squeal left her lips, insulting the ears of her son and passerby's. "it looks lovely; fits you like a gem. hurry up and get changed now darling, we've got to go to look for a pair of trousers to match."

he rolled his eyes, walking back in and changing back into his turquoise tee, messily tossing the sweater onto the hanger and handing it to his mother.

"put it on there nicer next time," she scolded, sucking her teeth and turning around heading to the trousers sect.

his lips curled downward as he mocked her, making a silly face. he stepped forward but froze, catching sight of something through the store window. he gulped, his throat feeling as if it were closing. it can't be. no.

he ran to the entrance door of the store, ignoring his mother's calls out to him. his hands pushed the doors open, his hair blowing back from the force as his eyes frantically searched around for the shorter person.

"hyung! hyung!" his shouts caused those around him to cast strange gazes, but he didn't care. his gaze flew around, desperately searching for who he'd seen in the window. his heart all but stopped when his eyes laid upon the back of someone's head. he knew who it was immediately. the scar on the back of his neck told him everything; it's him.

his feet carried him frantically to the person, dodging past others, "hyung!"

his hand latched onto the wrist of the shorter boy, startling him. he turned to look at who'd gathered his attention in such a way, and when he saw the face of the culprit his breath caught in his throat. his eyes searched the face once more, his mouth hanging open.

the two stared at each other for a short moment before a hand on yunho's wrist broke the moment.

yunho gulped, breaking eye contact with y/n and looking at the hand on his wrist. there was a ring on its' fourth finger. the left hand was gripping his. his eyes slowly trailed up and he met the glaring gaze of a man in a suit, his hair slicked back. he's a chaebol, like me.

"get your hands off of him." the man spoke, tightening his grip.

"no, why should i?" yunho challenged, not prepared for his next words.

"don't you know you shouldn't touch what belongs to other people?"

-

should i make a part 2? i'm probably going to make a part 2, it'll have a happy ending.