s.m³

requested:  @atinylandtostay
relationship: single!dad mingi, coffee shop owner!reader
word count: 3.7k
published: 09.18.20

"hanjae-ah! come on, baby! we have to get you dressed for your first day of school!" mingi called out as he bent down to pick up some toys on the floor and toss them into the toy bin.

quiet footsteps hurried across the floor as a small child squealed, jumping onto mingi and hugging him. "daddy!" the force of his jump made mingi stagger, but when he regained his balance, he wrapped his arms around his son and a large smile fell upon his face.

"hey, bud! good morning, did you sleep alright?" his heart melted when hanjae nodded his head and his eyes glittered, "that's good, baby. come on, let's go get you in the shower, and then we'll eat some breakfast, hm?" hanjae squealed, clapping his hands together.

"cereal, cereal, cereal!"

song hanjae was the 5-year-old son of song mingi. he did not have a mother; she was only 16 when she had hanjae, and didn't want to take responsibility. so mingi took his son and had her sign her rights over, and now she pays child support; sucks to be her.

but even then, with her unwillingly aiding them financially, it wasn't enough to make ends meet; they only had one child, so the government didn't make her pay too much and mingi never got a degree or finished high school, so there wasn't really any sustainable jobs he could pick up. he didn't want to do factory work, he wanted to be there for his son; he didn't want him to have to grow up and see how he struggled to make ends meet.

mingi was basically disowned when he stepped up and took responsibility for getting someone pregnant; he had to live off his girlfriend and her family, even then they weren't enthusiastic about him being around. so he saved up what he could from multiple part-time jobs and moved into a study room; they still managed to make a 10-square-meter room work.

mingi thought they would've been out of this study room by now, but he could only save enough over the years to send him to school. this was hanjae's very first day of school, it's safe to say mingi was more excited than hanjae; he was able to get him into school on time and able to afford it.

but, there was a setback. mingi had gotten laid off from both of his jobs because he was too distracted with hanjae there. mingi couldn't afford a babysitter and frankly, he didn't want one anyway. so, mingi had a plan—while hanjae is at school, he'll go job hunting within the area. he preferred cafes; although payment may be a bit low, it's a safe enough environment to let hanjae sit at the tables.

mingi and hanjae stood at the sidewalk, waiting for the school bus to pick hanjae up. mingi leaned over the curb, looking for the vehicle, and a group of mothers nearby covered their mouths and pointed discreetly at him. though they tried to hide it, he saw them, but he couldn't do anything about it, he just ignored their stares and held his son's hand. "daddy?" the mothers gasped when it was confirmed that they were father and son.

mingi looked over at hanjae, humming and giving a small smile. "are you coming to school with me?" he grabbed both of hanjae's hands, crouching down and fixing his collar.

"daddy has to go to work today, but don't worry, i'll pick you up from school instead of the bus stop, hm?" mingi's heart melted when hanjae looked up at him with a sad gaze and his mouth curled, tears pooling in his eyes. but hanjae didn't let them fall, he hurriedly wiped his tears, nodding his head, and hugged his dad. mingi's heart broke as he held his son; why didn't he cry? he should have cried, not hold it back... i hope he doesn't understand our situation, please god!

"okay, promise?" he leaned back and held his tiny pinkie out, looking expectantly at mingi. the father gave a toothy grin, wrapping his pinkie around hanjae's and pressing their thumbs together.