Chapter 2 Getting Reaquainted

Alicea looked around her classroom for the origin of that voice. "I must be hearing things", she shook her head in disbelief.  "Where to start?", Alicea stated to herself as she opened her Apple Music, set her workout playlist, and began organizing the classroom.  Alicea sang along to the music filling the classroom as she organized the textbooks, rearranged furniture, and hung posters.  Again, she heard her name and stopped to look around the room.  "I am definitely hearing things", she told herself.   She shook her head in disbelief and looked at the Italian leather watch on her wrist, 12 O'clock, she could hardly believe how quickly the day seemed to be passing.  "That's it", she said decidedly. "I'm hallucinating because it's time to eat".  Looking around her room again she'd barely just begun decorating and rearranging her room by the time lunch had rolled around.  Nevertheless, she needed a break after the morning's encounter with the blond bombshell.  Where did they find her anyway?, Alicea thought. She would have to ask Jen later.  

  Alicea grabbed her magenta Coach tote on her way to meet Agnes, turning off the speaker on her way out.  Alicea popped her airpods into her ears and walked in silence continuing to listen to music and running through the conversation she'd had with her new partner. Her inner monologue had taken over.
"What could she possibly know about Agnes, I mean she is new here and doesn't know anyone from Adam", Alicea thought. 
"How could she presume to know the intricacies of our friendship? Or how I feel about Agnes for that matter".
  Alicea walked with her head bowed in deep thought over analyzing that conversation when she inadvertently bumped into something (or someone).
 "Oh my goodness! I am so sorry, I should have been watching where I was going, please forgive me", Alicea blurted out while removing one of the airpods then quickly realized she'd actually knocked into the school's Assistant Principal Mr. McMurtree.  

 "It's quite alright Ms. del Romero", he said with a salacious smile.
"It's always a pleasure bumping in to you, even if only by accident".  Alicea always felt dirty after an encounter with Alan McMurtree, although she suspected this was always his intention.
 An old High School flame, Alan McMurtree was a gorgeous specimen of a man; and had the big three: tall, dark, and loaded. Alan knew he was a catch as he continually reminded Alicea that she'd made a huge mistake in marrying Marcello. His only reason for being there was to annoy her, or so she suspected. The female teachers swooned over him, which gave him an even bigger ego than he'd already had.  Alicea however, was immune to his charms and good looks, cured a long time ago, twelve years ago by her count.  She, as well as others, had heard the rumors circling the district about his philandering ways, which Alicea knew was most likely true.

  "Mr. McMurtree, I apologize.  I should have been more careful to watch where I was going", Alicea spoke nervously.  Why, she wondered, did he make her feel as nervous as a cobra in a mongoose's den?

  "Alan, please", he said silkily placing his hand on her shoulder.
"We go back a long way Ali".
"Remember, I want everyone to feel comfortable with me, there is no need to be so formal. Especially when school is not in session", he smiled.  Same old Alan, Alicea thought; always thinking his boyish grin and silky sly words could entice her; he really needed to move on and stop living in the past.  Alicea shrugged off his touch and stepped aside.

  "Excuse me Mr. McMurtree, I don't want you to think I am being rude; however I believe in giving and receiving respect, especially in a professional environment.  Therefore, you really shouldn't expect me to call you by your first name anytime soon", she smiled as sweetly as possible.  "I'm sorry but I really need to get going", her words flowed as sweetly as she could manage but it wouldn't last for long seeing as he was getting on her last nerve.

 "What's the hurry Ali?  Where are you off to?", he countered goading her. And there it was, that Cheshire cat grin he'd flash the girls to make them melt like butter.  Ali had fallen prey to him years ago during their senior year in high school and although it was a costly lesson, it was also a valuable one. She had vowed that she would not allow him, or any man for that matter, to get under her skin EVER again.