THREE

"do you want to go to the starlight festival?" this is probably the longest line that the brown-haired boy have said since their meeting.

"starlight festival?" yeonjun repeats as he examined the poster in his hand.

"it looked interesting." it was the first time hueningkai suggested to go somewhere, and his sharp gaze made the offer difficult to refuse.

soobin made a left turn, so sudden that beomgyu, who fast asleep, bumped his head on the window. "let's go there, then. before it's too late." he says, voice looming over the complaint on his driving skills in the back seat.

the algid wind brushed past taehyun's hair, making him hug his jacket closer as the group steps on the boardwalk. clusters of people already settled, anticipating the following events.

briskly walking over to hueningkai, soobin smiles as he looks at the overcasted sky. "come on, i'll take a picture of you !"

before the younger could manage anything, the camera lets out a small snap, as soobin happily holds up the gadget for him to see. "it looks good, right?"

"it's starting, oh my god !" beomgyu's voice boomed, as yeonjun desperately tried to hush him down to avoid weird stares from others.

the pair turns around to catch a glimpse of the bright, yellow light spurting out in all directions. at once, the crowd clambered in an attempt to get the best view of the fireworks.

boom, boom ! the skies roared as scintillas of a variety of colors crepitates into different directions. it was like parting - we all leave and go into different directions one day, don't we?

engrossed in their own thoughts, the boys sat side-by-side in silence as people let out exclaims from time to time. 

"i..." hueningkai felt someone pull his sleeve, instinctively pulling away.

"taehyun, are you okay?" soobin looks at him in concern, noticing the boy's paleness.

"i don't think i'm suitable for this," he manages to breathe out, giving him a lopsided grin.

"hey, it's fine. we don't need to see it." at last, hueningkai replies.

"we can go for a walk, okay? it's equally pretty, trust me." the photographer boy pulls him by the arm. "let's go."

-

away from the clamorous site, taehyun smiles apologetically. "sorry i ruined your night."

"don't say that !" yeonjun scolds. "it's pretty here, too."

it indeed was - the cerulean sky was like a canvas, and the little stars were like white paint sputtered onto it. "soobin, do your thing." beomgyu reminds as the latter gave a grateful nod, recording the moment.

"are you sure you're okay?" beomgyu asks in apprehension, tilting his head at the brown-haired boy.

"stop making it sound like i almost died or something," taehyun miffs, "i'm fine."

"i...i'm just worried." beomgyu lifts his head up to the sky.

"about what?" he persists.

"my... nothing." the black-haired boy swallows his words, muteness embracing them.

-

"you seemed to be pretty close with yeonjun." taehyun broke the unbearable quietness as the boy besides him looks up from his toes, snapping out of a trance. 

"what, us? we've been friends since three." the black-haired boy beams, in such a way that it was the biggest pride of his life. "and will be forever." he adds, lifting his head up as if declaring to the empyrean. 

forever? taehyun chuckles. it was an unrealistic promise, definitely. he smiles to himself. but such certainty overflowing from his every word is beautiful, still.

"childhood friends, huh?" the younger boy questions in a turgid manner, "i'm envious."

tilting his head as if considering something, beomgyu finally speaks up after a slight pause. "i will be your friend !"

the latter lets out a chuckle. "friend?"

"forever !" sensing the disbelief on taehyun's face, beomgyu sticks out his pinky finger. "i promise !"

sighing in defeat, the shorter boy hooks his finger with the boy's.

"forever."

-

oops i did like real bad in my tests?