NINE

maybe, taehyun had already sensed his death since a long, long time ago.

that night, as hueningkai opened the door with a click, half a step out of the patient's room already before the older boy called out. "hyuka?"

he froze. "yes?"

"you will go places, i can tell. i felt that since i first saw you." the tone was something taehyun never used - a soft tone of encouragement and affirmation, but a hinge of bitterness swelling in it. uneasiness creeping up in him, hueningkai let go of his grip on the door handle, spinning around.

the boy sat crossed-legged on his bed, like any ordinary night they spent together, with the brightest smile he could manage on his face. "just that...i really love you guys."

before the brown-haired boy could ask anything, the latter turns around, throwing the covers over himself. "good night, kai."

hueningkai shrugged it off. everyone shrugged it off. it seemed like the last goodbye.

into early morning, while the sky was still a light grey color, the boys had to rush to the hospital due to one frantic call. the silver doors of the emergency room was shut tightly, people of white clothing busying themselves with different types of work.

the clattering of bottles and wires was making beomgyu sick.

sick. to the core.

it couldn't be. jihae and taehyun. it was way too familiar. 

"taehyun !" he couldn't even process what he was doing, slamming his hands on the doors. "you said we'd stay together forever !"

taehyun was a liar.

those doors never opened for him.

soobin stopped him, tugging on his sleeve. "beomgyu, we're all in this together. he'll be fine, i promise." he took a few pauses between every phrase, as if he was trying his best to suppress something.

"but he-"

"gyu, he would be fine. he's too nice to have that happen." the bright-haired boy smiled, though the circles of his eyes slowly turned red. 

"we will get through this as one." hueningkai put his hand on the beomgyu's shoulder. "i promise."

so for those few hours, the boys sat in silence by the hospital corridor, hands tightly clasped together for their friend's return. for a moment, a gust of hope swallowed their anxiety.

a miracle would happen.

taehyun would make it out alive.

-

the place was starting to get busier as morning hits, the sunlight blazing through the clear windows. 

as if in a movie, the doctor pushed open the metal doors. the group got up hastily, ignoring the piercing numbness for sitting in the same position for hours.

soobin hesitated. maybe, ignorance is truly a bliss. "how is he?" he finally asks, fear of the unknown dawning on them. 

then, the world stopped.

"i'm sorry."

the brunette couldn't find a better word than "my heart sank" to describe how he felt. he felt his heart sink, so deep and quickly into the darkest depths he didn't know existed.

beomgyu was visibly shaking, biting on his lip to oppress the blooming feelings tearing him apart. the rest of the two boys stood petrified, as if not recovered from what the man said. 

it turned into a horror movie. their very own horror movie. 

kang taehyun, heart patient, died on august 2023.

cause of death : congenital heart disease. 

history always repeats itself.

-

ISTG I CRIED SO MUCH WRITING THISJDSJSDK I COULDN'T POST IT BC IM SO SAD?/