Dinner

We all walked to the dining room in a clump. My mom was just setting down the last dish of food as we walked in.

"Okay, so we have steak, potatoes, homemade of course, strawberries, and rolls," my mom said. "Sit anywhere you'd like, fill your plate, and then we'll say grace."

We let the guests sit first to be polite. Mrs. Lawson sat next to the head of the table, Mr. Lawson sat across from her, Nash sat next to him, and Maya across from Nash. I'm guessing that was how they were used to sitting at home. My mom sat at the end of the table, my dad sat that head, and I was about to sit next to Maya, but Mrs. Lawson spoke up.

"You don't have to sit on this side of the table just because my family is accustomed to sitting like this," she said. "Go ahead and sit next to Nash."

"Okay," I nodded. "Thank you, ma'am."

I sat down and he smiled at me before getting his food. He got one piece of steak, a scoop full of mashed potatoes, four strawberries, and two rolls. I looked at him and raised an eyebrow. Nash looked at me and burst into laughter.

"What are you looking at me like that for?" Nash said between his laughing.

"Nothing," I smiled and started getting food on my plate.

I didn't get any steak, because I wasn't feeling quite up to it, but I scooped two things of mashed potatoes up and plopped them down. I added two rolls and seven strawberries. It was Nash's turn to raise his eyebrow at me. I looked over at him and he was doing just that.

It was my turn to laugh, though I don't know why. I laughed for the first time in what felt like a long time, even though I laughed just this morning. My parents looked at me, surprise leaking into their features before telling me to calm down.

"It's good to see you finally laugh, sweet heart," My dad told me. "But you must chill out, please."

My eyes started to water as I finally stopped, nodding my head. Nash was trying to surpress a smile, but I could see it.

"What you want?" I mocked the look on his face and he snorted, holding in a laugh.

"Not a thing," he said. "Not the darnedest thing."

"Darnedest?" I smiled and raised an eyebrow at his choice of words. "What are we in the South now or something?"

"Oh yeah, didn't you know I here came from the Lone Star State," He faked his best Texan accent, making me giggle.

Our parents started talking about work. At first I was actually listening, but it got too boring so I stopped. I sighed as they went on talking about some random thing having to do with nothing. I hadn't even taken a bite out of my food, I just pushed it all around with my fork. Nash did the same, not even trying what he had put on his plate. Finally I gave in and ate my strawberries.

"I win," Nash whispered, his breath on my ear.

I shivered and shrugged.

"I didn't know it was a compitition," I smiled. "Maybe next time, when I actually know, I can crush you, fair and square."

"Is that a challenge I hear, Miss Harley?" He raised an eyebrow, a half smile tugging at his lips. "If so, you're on."

"Challenge accepted, Lawson," I stuck out my hand, which he took firmly.

"When are you two planning on doing this all?" Maya piped up.

I had almost forgotten about the sweet little angel. I looked at her wide eyes that stared directly back into mine. I took her question into consideration.

"How about Friday after school?" Nash asked before realizing something. "If you aren't busy with.... Anything."

He was a fast thinker when it came to not giving anything away. I nodded and smiled. Wait.... Was he asking me out on a date?

"Sweet," He stuffed his mouth with food. "We'll see who wins then."

"Well, sweet heart," I batted my eyes at him, looking as innocent as I could. "You're going down."

He flicked mashed potatoes at my face. Maya and I both started cracking up as Nash looked around like he didn't know what just happened. All four adults looked at us like we were crazed idiots, which I don't blame them for.

"Nash flicked mashed potatoes at me!" I pouted, making Nash laugh along with us.

"Did not!" He played along. "She started it!"

"Omigosh, you guys, stop," Maya laughed, grabbing her sides. "You guys are going to kill me!"

"Okay, two year olds, calm yourselves," my father rolled his eyes.

I giggled at his comment, then dug in to the rest of my food. I hummed as I ate, which got me odd looks from Nash, not that I really cared. I guess it was because I had yet to wipe the mashed potatoes off my face, but whatever, it happens.

Finally he couldn't take it anymore. He put a napkin in my lap.

"You gonna take care of that?" He asked.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I replied, making him roll his eyes.

"Fine, I'll do this the other way," he picked up the napkin and wiped my face himself, making me heat up immediately.

Maya snickered while Mrs. Lawson glared at her son. He rolled his eyes at her and shrugged.

"What? She wasn't going to get it herself and it was bothering me," he stated.

"Hmm, I wonder how it got there in the first place," I laughed a little.

"Psh, don't look at me," he grinned. "I didn't touch you."

"You don't have to touch her to fling potatoes at her," Maya helpfully pointed out.

"Mmm hmm," I added with a little sass, making Nash snort.

"Whatever, I don't argue with a lady," he pointed to Maya, "and whatever that is," he pointed to me, smirking.

I stuck my tongue out at him, making Maya snort, yet again. I smiled at her and did it again. Nash narrowed his eyes at me, daring. I did it another time.

"You asked for it," he made a tisking sound.

"Ooo," Maya giggled.

"Asked for what?" I dared him.

"You'll see once we're in a better setting," he wouldn't even give me a hint.

"Since you kids are done," my dad cleared his throat, "and us adults would like to talk amongst ourselves, how about you all go for a walk or something? It's awfully nice outside tonight."

All three of us looked around at each other. Nash and Maya both shrugged and started getting up, so I nodded, getting up as well. I nodded my head in the direction of the kitchen so I could clean the plates before we were on our way.

The siblings quietly watched as I washed our dishes. Maya had offered to help, but I declined, telling her it was okay.

"Don't worry about it," I smiled. "I got it."

They stood behind me as I set each plate on the counter next to the sink when I was done with them. I turned off the water and motioned for Nash and Maya to follow me to the front door.

Once we were outside, Nash picked me up and turned me upside down, giggling like crazy. Maya stood there wide eyed, but then found herself giggling along with me.

"Put me down," I shrieked and wiggled around.

"You asked for it!" I could tell he was grinning. "Now would you stop moving! I might drop you."

I stopped instantly, but I was still giggling like a mad woman. Nash turned me back right side up, finally setting me back down on my own two feet.

"Now how about that walk?" Nash asked.

"Gladly," I sprinted off, Maya at my heels, but Nash still at my front door step, looking shocked.