14. New Obsession

Surprisingly enough, the Marauders and I didn't get any more detentions for the rest of Christmas Holidays. Within the ten days of break, I only got to hang out with Severus once and it was because I sat at the Slytherin table for dinner one of the days. Christmas was delightful as well; I got to soak all four boys instead of waking them up the regular way.

A day before the start of the new term, Lily and Marlene came back bearing presents: the three of us got each other new books and cried with laughter. I told them all about my Holiday, leaving out the part about the Map like I promised, and my week long detention.

The new term started the next morning with a pleasant surprise for the sixth years: a large sign had been pinned to the common room notice boards overnight.

APPARITION LESSONS

If you are seventeen years of age, or will turn seventeen on or before the 31st August next, you are eligible for a twelve-week course of Apparition Lessons from a Ministry of Magic Apparition instructor. Please sign below if you would like to participate. Cost: 6 Galleons.

"So — Apparition," said James. "Should be a laugh, eh?"

The boys spoke amongst themselves while I addressed Lily and Marlene,

"Are you going to sign up?"

"Yes, I suppose," Lily shrugged.

I heard cheers of other sixth years around the common room. Their excitement of Apparating made me smile. I remember when we first found out about Apparation Lessons, it was beyond exciting. I was the last one of my group to pass the Apparation test. The summer between sixth and seventh year was hard, I still had the trace on me and I couldn't help defend my friends until the middle of August.

"You lot better learn how to Apparate correctly because Side-Apparation and Splinching is not funny," I winced.

During the Holidays, Professor Dumbledore said he'd wave my fee for Apparation Lessons and allow me to take them with my year to lower suspicions of my ability to properly Apparate.

"You've Apparated before?" Peter gasped.

"Yes, the two weeks between my birthday and the first day of this year," I lied. "My mum Apparated with me since I turned seventeen. Now, I'll be able to learn myself."

"Whoa," breathed Peter.

"Be careful, Rory, I think Wormy just fell in love with you," James joked.

Peters face flushed and I laughed awkwardly. Sirius glared slightly at James and I bit my lip trying to stifle a laugh.

"I'm going to go now," I laughed and pulled Lily and Marlene away with me.

Breaking into the Slytherin common room was something Lily wasn't keen on doing, so we agreed on making a basket full of pastries and sweets for Severus's birthday. From sugar quills to pumpkin pastries along with Chocoballs to Drooble's, the basket was full.

His birthday fell on a Wednesday which meant that we only saw him during Transfiguration and at mealtimes. Deciding it'd be a better idea to hand him his present and birthday surprise after dinner, Lily and I wrapped the items and beamed about our little surprise.

It felt as if dinner took ages to finish. We couldn't outright hand it to him in the Hall, so we left dinner early and waited in the cold dungeon for Severus to show up.

"We probably should have thought this through," Lily mumbled after waiting in the dungeon for a while.

"How did you use to hand him his presents?" I asked.