Chapter 10

Newt POV 

     I wrap my arms tighter around Casey, still half asleep. Something seems off though. She seems off. She seems....softer? Squishier? Lighter? Smaller? All of the above? 

     I slowly peel my eyes open, and look down. I then realize I'm not holding Casey at all, I'm holding a pillow. 

     Feeling like an idiot, I shove it aside and get out of the bed. 

     I automatically glance over at the table where I keep all my weapons, and notice one of my guns is gone. 

     I frown slightly, and walk out the door and into the main room where the rest of my friends are. 

     I scan the area for my girlfriend, but I can't see her anywhere. 

     I walk up to Thomas, who is sitting with Brenda. 

     "Hey, have you seen Casey?" I ask him. "No, I thought she was with you." Thomas answers, looking at me blankly. 

     Panic starts to rise up inside me. "Why isn't she here? Did something happen to her? Is she in danger?" 

     "Maybe she just went for a walk outside or something?" Brenda suggests. 

     That's when the thunderbolt of realization hits me. 

     First I feel relief, then anger, then fear, then panic again mixed with some rage. I'm not sure if its the flare, or my own emotions, but I'm starting to feel really angry and frustrated. 

     "I told her not to do anything stupid without me. I should have realized she might have tried to do this. I can see Thomas going through with it, but not Casey. Why did she do it? To save me. She loves me. That's why she's risking her life to save mine." 

     I am feeling so many emotions at once that I'm giving myself a headache. 

     Finally, I look at Thomas and Brenda again, and give them a grim expression. 

     "Oh yeah, she's definitely outside." I say, sarcasm lacing my voice. 

     Thomas frowns in confusion. "What do you mean?" He asks. 

     I sigh, looking over at the entrance to the sewage system, then say. "Casey has gone to the city to get me the cure."