Surprise

A/N: please remember i'm american and think of colleges different than people in other places might. please don't attack me-

I stand in the quad of my college with my best friend, Whitney. "Hey! How was your winter break? Our suite mates missed you!" She grins. "Exhausting. I got to see Max for his birthday though." I feel that familiar burning in my cheeks as I say his name.

"You've been dating him since we were fifteen!" She laughs. "How is it that even at nineteen years old you get all flustered when talking about him?" I shrug and my phone buzzes. I smile a bit.

"We've gotta get to the suite." "Alright, away we go!" Whitney grabs my hand as we run towards our on campus suite. Upon entering we see that it's been decorated. "Was it like this when you left?" I ask.

"Not at all, I'm just as confused as you..." She cuts herself off as our suite mates run from the hall. "(Y/n), look out the window! There's a rabbit on the quad!" I turn towards the window but realize they were diverting my attention.

"Guys, wha-" My words stop as I turn around to see my boyfriend, Max. "Max, what are you doing here?" I grin. "I wanted to surprise you." He hugs me. "Well it worked. I'm so happy to see you!"

"I have one more surprise and I'm kind of nervous about it.." He backs away from me a bit and reaches into his pocket. I look at my friends and they're all grinning widely. I look back at Max and notice he's getting on one knee.

"Max..." My heart starts racing. "(Y/n) (L/n).. For.. For as long as I can remember you've stood by my side as my best friend and for the past four years as my girlfriend." His words seem to get caught in his throat but he takes a deep breath.

"You've made me the happiest I've ever been and I've tried my best to do the same for you, so what I'm asking is..." He freezes for a bit as the nerves kick in again. He curses under his breath and I giggle a bit.

"Will you marry me? You're all I could ever ask for in a partner and I know... I know that I want you forever.." I was so focused on him that I hadn't noticed the tears running down my cheeks.

I can't get a word out of my mouth so I just nod when he looks up at me. He slides the ring on my finger and stands up to kiss me. He pulls away shortly after and holds me in a hug. Everyone in the suite is cheering and I'm grinning ear to ear as tears roll down my face.

"You know, (Y/n) Mills doesn't sound too bad!" My suite mate, Cason, laughs. "Not at all." Max smiles at me.