Happier With Me

"Hey (Y/n)!" Tom yells as he climbs into the tree house located in my backyard. It had become the group's safe place years ago.

"Oh, what's up, Tom?" I grin. "Nothing, just tired of listening to Max babble about you." He chuckles. "Huh?" "Hold up, I'm gonna call him. Stay quiet."

I nod and smile as he calls Max. "Yeah, Tom?" Max's sweet voice comes through Tom's speakers. "What were you saying before I left? I forgot." Tom rolls his eyes playfully.

"I was saying that I told you that asshole was going to leave (Y/n). I was telling you that she'd be so much happier with me!" Max shouts. "I would treat her like a damn princess but that dick made it hard for her to trust anyone!"

My lips curve into a smile as he rambles.

"I love her, Tom. I really do. I always have." I can practically hear the frown on his face. "I just wish she would realize it. Tom ends the call with a few words and I look at him.

"Tom, get Max here asap. I'm gonna talk to him." I grin. Tom exits the treehouse and gives me a thumbs up.

An hour or two passes and I read some of the comic books from a few years ago. "I don't know, man. She just said she wanted to talk to you." Tom's voice fills the air and I smile. Max's head soon pops up in the opening.

He crawls in and sits down, leaning against a wall. "Tom said you needed to talk to me?" I look past Max to see Tom leaving. "Yeah actually.." My nerves suddenly kick in and I fiddle with my fingers. Max puts a hand on mine and I look up at him.

"You can tell me, I'm all ears." He sweetly smiles. I don't say anything. I just lay my head on his chest. He pulls the rest of me into his lap and I take a deep breath. His cologne fills my senses and I let out a sigh of relief.

"You okay?" He asks. "Better than okay. It should've been like this from the start." I lift my head up and kiss his jaw. He tenses up for a split second but then grabs my hand.

"What are you talking about?" He smiles trying to act cool. "I love you, Max.." I blurt. I nervously chew my bottom lip as I wait for his response.

It takes a minute but he lets out a small chuckle, "You have no clue how long I've wanted to hear that." He squeezes me a bit and I hug him. "I love you too, (Y/n)."