Chapter 20

The trek up to Death Mountain had been rather uneventful, yet beautiful. Link had admired every part of it, despite having seen it all before. He could only imagine how it must be for Zelda, after so long being secluded from this world.
They had decided to stay at the stable for the night, so that they had all day to travel the road to the city. Link knew from experience how hard it could be for Hylians to withstand the immense heat up the volcano. He wanted to protect Zelda to the best of his abilities.
     Arriving at the stable they had been greeted enthusiastically. Not many people came this way, and to have the two most famous people visit greatly excited the stable owners.
     To get away from all the fuzz and the stares, Link took Zelda out onto the road. He knew a place which he would love to show her.
     As they walked under a great natural arch of massive rock, Zelda looked around in excitement, making Link smile.
     'Have you ever been in before?' He asked, referring to the natural hot springs left and right of the path.
     Zelda shook her head. 'There never was time. I passed here a few times on my way to Goron City, but duty kept me from trying it out.'
     Link grinned excitedly, grabbing her hand and pulling her to the right, just past a protruding rock which held a glowing piece of ore to illuminate the road. It was getting dark and the steam rising up from the hot pools created a mystical fog.
     Directly next to the road were a few ledges going down to the water. Link stepped down and held up his hand to help Zelda, giving her an elegant smile. She laughed, but took it and soon stood next to him on the narrow patch of level ground.
     The limited amount of places to stand led them to be extremely close together, but Link didn't mind. He felt a light flush on his cheeks, but brushed it off on the heat around them.
     Zelda now quirked one eyebrow at him, asking him what they were waiting for.
     Link pulled up his shoulders in innocence, before making a grant gesture to invite her in.
     Zelda scoffed and shook her head, before turning towards the water and quickly pulling off her tunic.
Link let out a soft gasp at the suddenness of her actions. He had expected her to be more timid, waiting for him to go in first, but was proven very wrong.
Zelda put her clothes on one of the rocks, now only wearing her underwear. With a taunting smirk she stepped into the shallow water, until it reached up to her hips.
     'Are you coming or what?' She laughed, spreading her arms invitingly.
     Link suddenly seemed to be able to move again and quickly started undressing. With just his briefs on he waded in, trying to catch up to Zelda. Before he reached her, however, she already moved away, splashing through the steaming water.
Link laughed and followed, until they reached the opposite bank. Here the water was rather shallow and Zelda sat down leaning against a rock, submerged up to her shoulders.
As Link sat down next to her, she let out a content sigh.
'It really is amazing. Thank you, Link. I needed this. It's just so relaxing!'
Link gave her a gentle smile and nodded. He then leaned against the rocks as well and closed his eyes, taking in the heat of the water. He could just feel his muscles starting to relax.
Suddenly he felt Zelda's soft skin against his arm and opening one eye, he saw her looking at him, a sparkle in her eyes.
He immediately became very aware of their surroundings, sitting just next to some big rocks shielding them from the road. Through the thick fog they could just make out one of the lights along the path, but everything else was dark and clouded.
Nobody could see them sitting here.
Link chuckled a little nervously, unsure of what to do. This situation was still so new to him.
Zelda gave him a reassuring smile and positioned herself to nestle into his side, giving him no choice but to put his arm around her.
Link smiled to himself, as he slowly relaxed again and leaned back, his cheek resting on Zelda's soft hair.
They sat like that for what seemed like ages, but eventually Zelda stirred and turned to look at Link.
'Perhaps we should head back and get some sleep. It's going to be a big climb tomorrow.'
Link nodded, reluctantly pulling his arm back. Before he could get up to swim back to the other side though, Zelda stopped him by throwing her leg over his.
She worked herself up until she was sitting on his lap, facing him, as water dripped down her bare shoulders.
Link couldn't help but look, as he felt his cheeks flush an even deeper red than they already were.
Zelda smiled at him, a sweet, gentle smile, as she wound her fingers through the back of his hair. She leaned closer, until she could whisper in his ear.
'You're really cute when you get all nervous, you know?'
Link didn't know what to say, but he wasn't planning on it either. Instead he placed a hand in her neck and gently pulled her closer, until he could connect their lips.
     When Zelda eventually pulled away, Link felt a little disappointed, but happy all the same. How could he ever have thought that this was not what he wanted?
     Suddenly Zelda was gone from his lap, leaving him feeling strangely naked. He looked at her as she floated on her back, slowly making her way back to their clothes, her eyes never leaving his.
     He smiled. She was truly the most beautiful person he had ever seen. And she was all his.