Chapter 13: The Third Wheels

The irritating, flashing lights of the disco ball were taunting me. I would kill just to make it stop. To some it might have seemed fun because they were with company; otherwise known as dates.

Right now I absolutely, completely regret not having a date. To make matters worse, I was wearing three-inched heals that seemed to be the spawn of Satan. Shut up and don't say it's short and that I'm being a bit overdramatic.  Easy for you to say, you aren't in my shoes. No pun intended.

Why was I so foolish? 

The blaring music boomed in the ball room, making my head hurt even more and my insides forcing me to puke my dinner. I was getting a headache and if I stay here any longer, I will surely pass out. The only thing keeping me inside is the free cocktail.

 "Hey, Sky," a familiar voice said. I turned my head and saw Marcel dressed up well. His hair was styled perfectly whilst his glasses were a no show. I almost didn't recognize him. He does not look like the Marcel I know, and the fact that Harry and he are both twins is now more believable.

Not that I had doubts.

I gave him a small smile as a sign of acknowledgement. "Hi Marcel. You going solo," I asked him in hopes that he will say yes. Being all alone, in a crowded room, with both your feet throbbing is not an ideal homecoming. And wearing heals when you have a reasonable height is not the brightest idea, either.

He nodded, "Me, too," I replied; relieved. 

"Want to go out and find Ashton; he's also going solo." He simply nodded and followed me, in hopes of finding Ashton. As always, he was silent as ever. I couldn't be more grateful. Because of how interesting his silence was and how much I anticipated hearing his voice made me forget about the blaring music that was unnecessarily loud.

But, there is always a contradiction.

Awkward silence started between us—that was the contradiction. I decided to start a conversation, "The music is hurting my ears."

He nodded and replied, "I agree. It's giving me a headache." He cringed a little once a louder part—which I thought wouldn't happen judging by the fact that the music was already unbearably and unnecessarily loud—suddenly boomed.

I grimaced in annoyance, "Jesus. I thought these guys would actually act all posh and stuff. Guess they, too, knew how to party." 

"Everyone knows how to party!" A new, more feminine voice shouted from behind us. I turned around only to spot Callie and Luke, arm-in-arm.

"Hey guys, you having fun?"

"Not much."  

"Well, we are," Luke said; giving Callie that dreamy look. I playfully roll my eyes at them; making sure it was over exaggerated so they wouldn't think I was against their dating and understand that I was being playful. I mean, seriously, having a softie date a kid who'd take probably a minute or two to get the joke won't get you anywhere but the enemy zone.    

Luke was definitely Callie's dream guy. I should know, I remember when she described to Lori and me her dream guy.

It was a rainy Saturday. We were still freshmen back then.

She excused herself to go to the bathroom. "Okay, can I use your computer for a minute or two," I was like.

"Of course," she was like.  

I moved from my position—crisscrossed legs—since it made my legs numb. I grabbed her computer and opened it, only to find a picture of Taylor Lautner as her wallpaper. I looked at it weirdly; judging it.