Chapter Twenty Two

A time of fall,
A time when all flee,
But one thing so sure,
There is an end,all I see.

Timothy steadied the bicycle down the ever silent street. His head was burning and his heart sinking in it's cavity.

He had betrayed Earnest, it had been a while he visited him and it was not all his faults. Things have been sour for him too ever since Liana discovered his trick of visiting Earnest during school hours.

Liana had since kept his after school movements and phone calls confined but this night,he had found a rare escape and believed the only person he could turn to was Daisy.

Kemi Williams could allow Daisy into her house,but not him. She could believe Daisy would be a positive influence on her son and that was where Timothy's slim hope lies as he stopped in front of the brown polished gate.

"Timothy" The familiar voice called behind him just as he was about to bang the gate for a third time.

He turned back and saw her.

"Daisy"

"No one is at home" She notified as she drew nearer.

"Oh"Timothy simply exclaimed and stopped.

" How's Earnest?"That was her eager question when she was an inch away from him and her eyes went gloomy with the question.

"He is worse" Timothy chuckled nonchalantly. Earnest would definitely be worse at the moment, Kemi Williams had certainly not relieved her penalties and Timothy,despite his recent show of unconcern, feared the poor boy might be dying at the hour.

"I'm sorry" That was all Daisy said.

"Sorry?. It was all his faults" Timothy still chuckled.

"We went for an outing that day" Earnest would have escaped all the fateful occurrences if she had not asked him to escort her to the BLOOMY that very day.

"Did you force him to,you didn't"

"I did" Daisy retorted,her eyes welling up.

"Still not your fault" Timothy lifted his shoulders. Even if she had tried to force him,Earnest should know it was a practice day and only if Timothy knew too,he would have urged him to suspend the outing to another day. By that,they could have easily escaped all the mess at this time.

"That I've never visited him too"

"You've not?" Okay. Timothy would agree she was to be blamed for that. He had expected her to have gone once or twice to say hello at their Earnest. Earnest needed everyone at the moment, he needed everyone apart from his raging family and Daisy,Susane and him should be his stalwarts.

"I'm worse" Daisy sobbed.

"No,you are not. You can still go. This is even the best time to" Timothy encouraged. It had been a long time he visited Earnest, the poor boy would surely be heartbroken by now,he would dearly need someone by him at the moment and the sudden appearance of Daisy could spark a joy.

"Best time?" Is Earnest that down at the moment. How would Timothy ever say it was the best time after she had cruelly neglected him and he would never be interested to have her in his sight again.

"Earnest need someone at this time. I've betrayed him too" Timothy's voice went low to sad tone that showed the big pain he felt to utter the statement.

He could barely take it that he had abandoned the poor Earnest at the turbulent period but that was purely what he had done. Liana's recent restrictions would not be enough excuse, hell or not,he should have found a way to get to Earnest. He should defy Kemi's warnings and Liana's insistence for his friend. But he couldn't. Or more precisely, he didn't.

"You did too?" Daisy accused lightly, her eyelashes fluttering in a questioning manner.

And Timothy got the expression.

"No,I've gone there. I've been there for some days but----" He stopped and went more sober for the next words,"but I couldn't stand for him. I couldn't face the fire for him"

"Fire?" Timothy's choice of words were too strong this night. Daisy could not comprehend the meaning of the fire--- was Earnest so much in a big trouble because of the whim she had caused him to take and she was here doing--- .Her heart dropped further in its widening cavity.

"His Mum asked me not to come near him and I couldn't disregard that for him. I should be the one to do anything for him but I failed him," Timothy lamented with a swing of arms before something hit his primal brain, "I need you now Daisy,we need you. You are the only one that could make Earnest know I didn't forget him. Kemi won't stop you and Earnest would love to see you again"

"You think?" Daisy despaired,definitely hinting at his recent words. Even if Kemi would allow her in,she was almost certain Earnest would have nurtured an hatred towards her over the days.

"I know that. I promised him that you'll be coming someday and he was really happy to hear that. Please help us out Dai,Earn is dying emotionally and starving. His Mum had denied him food ever since" Timothy persuaded, holding one of her palms in his clasp.

"Really?" She showed her surprise as her lashes batted again. It had been a week now and Earnest had been dwindling in hunger.

She would go. She must go. "Not this night," She said before Timothy could utter a word,"but I will. I will go there. I'm really sorry I haven't ever since" She assured just as the tears tumbled the more and the suffering figure seemed to appear in the illusive sight of her wet eyes.

"It's never too late" Timothy said with a smile,"Thanks. Say my greetings to Earnest. I will write a letter and hand over to you tomorrow. Tell him I never forgot him and never will"

Daisy nodded at Timothy's assuring words but did not say a word afterwards.

"What's that?. For the CAAS?" Timothy tried to enliven the atmosphere by making significance of the violin she was holding.

"What?" She battled herself back from a deep thought.

"I mean the violin"

"I went for a practice" She tried to smile.

"For the CAAS. You're leading,right?"

"I didn't want to do it" She sobbed.

"It's nothing" Timothy dismissed it," It is better you are the one taking over. Earnest will be more pleased with that"

"Pray he will"

"I'm sure he will" Timothy affirmed,then got on his bicycle, "So when are you going?" He asked as he swivelled his Junto towards a direction.

"Tomorrow night" She nodded.

"My hope lies in you" Timothy's smile got brighter,"Good night"He said as he cycled ahead.

And in that minute,Daisy could not explain why her heart skipped a beat. Was she really nervous to see Earnest again,or was she just haunted by her conscience. She wished she could tell Timothy all about it but she could not. It was a top secret.

"Good night. Bye" She said into the gushing air but Timothy was gone. Only the shadow of his bicycle could be seen cutting a corner.