Chapter Thirty

After an hour,they were down at the court and delightfully for Earnest,Morenike's Dad was still there, fondling a bat. He was an athletically built man and one always ready for game as he threw him a bat and served.

The fire goes on afterwards and Earnest met with his biggest challenge. The man was a baller but Earnest would not also go down easily. He was the best at St. Avirns not just by a slightest margin. He was really an expert at tennis and he would prove it.

Half an hour gone and a score 18-10,Earnest knew he had to drop the bat and surrender. There will always be someone better than you,he agreed internally and bowed to the man.

The man also dropped his bat and rubbed a towel over his face as he disappeared to,maybe have a bath as he was reeking with sweat.

Morenike laughed mockingly at Earnest after the defeat and he gestured her to take a bat. He must also take a delight in beating someone too. And Morenike won't cause much trouble. He assumed.

She took the bat and it went on again. But it was not Morenike,it was rather Serena that he was playing against. She was just a copy of her father and she gave him back as tough. She was more difficult as the score finally outlined: 10-6

Earnest gave a sigh of relief but had learnt a couple of things; Morenike could not just sing as Earnest, she was as good on the court too. And Morenike would not say a word without making it real. She promised he would sprain something to defeat her and it was so.

She came back with a salver of the mashed potatoes, fried eggs and tumblers after some minutes away which Earnest spent alone in the garden,staring at the angelic lights and a moth settling on a petal.

"Dad said he would be here soon". Morenike announced as she sat on an adjacent chair to his.

" Your Dad is a baller". Earnest did not waste time to point out.

"What of his daughter?" Morenike asked.

"But I got her down" Earnest winked back.

"Not as easily as you'd have thought" She defended.

"Yes,that" Earnest agreed,"But I'll be getting a new coach soon"

"Really?. Who's that?"

"Your Dad" He winked again just as a surge of damp air breezed between them.

"You think he has the time?"

"I think he plays at nights"

"Sure" And?

"Then it's night practices. In the cold air,under the moon's grace and stars' shining". Earnest whooped and caught her smile at his actions.

" What're you doing first when you get back to school?". She decided to ask after a minute.

"Apologize". Earnest answered sharply and drew in a bracing breath, " I will say a sorry to Ms. Dake,to the school and to everyone. Even though I know a lot about it now,I'll still do that". He affirmed and nodded.

"It's a nice way to start again". Morenike supported just as the tall,athletic figure reappeared in a cloak and knickers.

" Hello,Mr Earn". He said jovially as he sat on a chair next to his daughter's.

"Evening sir." Earnest replied with a bow.

"How was your cuisine training?". He asked.

" She's a good cook. I learnt a lot ".Earnest responded after a visible shock. Morenike had really told her Dad he was just here to learn some cooking skills. That's somehow ridiculous.

" I was much younger than you when I started doing delicious meals". The man said and sipped into a tumbler of juice before he continued, "It was a thing thoroughly taught by our African parents then, to their kids. To the females and also to the males. That was our culture and we ought to maintain it. The white has their culture too which they cherish so much and we all have to value our things. You get me?". He lectured further and Earnest nodded in response.

" There's much more gain to learning things,hun". The man hummed and drew closer a dish of the mash and desserts, "My wife is a counsellor and more of a traveller. That's her living and I got to do lots of things. I bathed the child,cook the meals,tidy up the rooms and sometimes wash diapers. You can do all that?". He stopped in the mid of a spoon of mash.

Earnest shook his head and his nose squeezed.

The man noticed that and he laughed, " It's not disgusting, you should agree with me. Couples should be helpmates and if I haven't learnt all those things during the little years,I might have been so useless to our pretty daughter". The man expatiated and cornered a wink towards Morenike.

She smiled back but still came up with a gentle objection, "But Mum does many things too whenever she's around. She cooks,wash and everything"

"No one says she doesn't baby girl". The man agreed with a glow, " But when she's around of course. I got to do tons of things whenever she isn't. And it's just a sense of understanding between us. The major things in relationships. Trust,love and understanding "

"Mum's phrase". Morenike said,hinting at the man's last statement.

" Yeah,"The man nodded and started to rise after another mouthful of the milky mash, "Have to give her a call this night"

"But she returns tomorrow" Morenike called after him when he had been four steps away.

"I know. I'll still miss her sourly before that". The man cooed into the air and Earnest could sense him smile as he walked away.

" I love your home".He remarked after the minutes of silence.

"What of yours?". Morenike drew a meaning from his look.

" Wish we have a happy one like yours"

"Really?"

"Forget it". Earnest tried to dismiss the sympathy.

" Mum can help". Her Mum is a counsellor and she returns the next day.

"Mum and Dad. Mercy and I . But no need".

" Earn?". She drawled.

"We'll be fine". He raised a palm and looked around for something to take attention away from the topic.

But he found none. It was only the reflection of a moving moon on the still face of the pool that came into view.