Chapter Thirty Three

When those moments go,
And your dark secrets I later know,
After we friends turned foes,
Can we still ever be close?
Will my eyes still be cool enough,
For you to look into?.

Earnest took a bracing breath and his legs somehow cringed as he alit the familiar bus. The old face of St. Avirns stared coldly at him and he smiled back at it even though there was an inkling of shame working up in him.

It was just two weeks off but it seemed to be two years. It seemed to be a very long time he had seen himself in the blue colours of the school and it never looked like he missed it. Life at home. Life at the small room of Susane. Life at the theatre. Life with Timothy and Morenike outside of the school. All those moments were the real interesting chapters of his life. And one that could even make him wish not to get back to school again.

Really?.

He smiled at that naughty thought and the smile suddenly lit up the atmosphere around him. Everyone soon gathered around him like before and each tongue was lashing with questions and praises.

"Our hero is back. Back stronger"Some screamed as they took him in embraces.

Earnest loved that. And he hoped Maxwell and his crew could see it also. His fame and status at St. Avirns was not something that could just be tarnished or replaced overnight. Not even by a silly suspension from school.

He scoffed and fell into another crowd.

" Earn. Sorry I couldn't visit you. I thought you'll be too grieved to see anyone". The little Kate's voice pitched out from the rest. She looked doleful and apologetic. She looked like she had been the chief cause of all his troubles. But she was not. She was just somehow a friend to Daisy and maybe she was taking the side of Daisy to apologize.

"It's well Kate. You're forever a darling". Earnest dismissed with a smile as he wriggled out of the crowd.

But Kate was not smiling either. She continued to follow him,looking ever sad and like she still had plenty to say.

" She'd told me everything ,Earn".Kate called after him after they had cornered into a silent corridor.

"What?". Earnest stopped and still drew up a bleak face despite getting the message well. So,Daisy had actually told her little friend all about her wicked moves. The thought of how guilt haunted she would be at the moment made him chuckle.

" You know it,Earn. And I know it too".The little Daisy clarified in a much lower tone, "But she regretted it already. She never knew it would hurt so---".

" Spare me that,"Earnest suddenly spat and cut her off with his eyes going hard with anger, "She did not know it would hurt?.Are you kidding me?. Does something that cruel ever has any benefit than to hurt people?". He fired into the little girl's gloomy eyes. He had wanted to take it calm and just settle back to his life at the school. But that would still not change the history. That would still not change the fact that he was at one time sent away from school. The sense of that pained him. And to hear that Daisy had thought it would not hurt him made him more pained and madder.

" E--a-rn"Kate only drawled and stopped. Her voice almost falling to a crying tone.

"I hate her," He blurted," Tell it to her that I hate her than I would have ever hated Mercy. Tell it to her to never cross my path over the little time we have left in this school". His eyes instantly welled up and started to shed the warm water.

His mind swiftly went back to the time at the BLOOMY,the talk at the Welson inns and their ride to her house. So,Daisy had known of those secret plans against him and had acted so innocent and friendly. She was a damn callous actor. She had even teased him with questions on his preparations to lead the CAAS. She had played him like a total fool. And he was a fool indeed. A big fool. He had thought he was executing his own plan with Timothy but.....

"Earn,so you're here". A familiar voice came in behind him and he immediately picked it. It was Morenike's. He rubbed a palm hastily on his face and gave her a cursory smile.

" Hi, Morenike"

"You're chilling here before the bell?". She joked as she moved nearer. Her traditional braids as sparkling ever but with a new style.

" Good for a comeback". Earnest shrugged.

"I'll say bad". She countered mildly before looking suspiciously towards the sad Kate, " Hey"She waved.

But Kate would not say anything back. She just turned and walked away from their sight.

"Heck". Earnest made a sound.

"What's that?". Morenike's eyeballs lifted.

" Nothing "

"You just said heck"

"Forget it"

"Are you at all keeping things from me?". Her voice took a sombre low tone that made Earnest felt a little guilt.

He should truly not hide things from her anymore. She had suddenly become another Timothy to him.

" Well,she was apologizing for Daisy". He forced himself to explain and watched Morenike's lashes batted. He knew what she wanted to say with that expression. He knew she would support it too that he should forgive that white demon.

"And?" She dragged.

"I refused of course"

"Earn"

"It pained me a lot"

"You promised to apologize and make peace with everyone". She reminded. That was what he had promised to do that night at her house.

" But she made me mad. She said she never knew it would hurt. That made me so crazy".He screamed and those tears resumed duty. He found himself crying like  a toddler and felt the soothing touch of her palm when it landed on his face to wipe off the tears.

"I know that could really hurt to hear,". Her words rumbled into his ears," I know it could sound crazy she was claiming innocent but---".The bell went up and shuffles of legs could instantly be heard approaching the corridor.

"Be a man,Earn and wipe off your tears. It would be ridiculous to see you crying at your first day back". She warned just as a couple of boys walked past them in amazement.