CHAPTER 4 - Bucky Barnes

I'm not sure what I should think about her.

Some part of me wants to protect her.
Show her she isn't alone.
Anymore.
Tell her that everything's gonna be all right.
Someday.

I want to do something good, I guess. Something that makes her understand that she's safe with us.

But I don't know what.
Every time I look at her I see this fire in her eyes. This wild, desperate fire that wants to come out and burn everything down to the very ground. And that Steve saw in my eyes as well.

She wasn't brain-washed but she is afraid. And fear can do even the best people terrible things.

Kayla's story is so different from mine but also so similar.
The fire is similar.

But the problem is, that she really can burn down the world.

We hide the same fire, Hydras fire, but we have different opinions.
We are dealing with the same hell but with different devils.

"What are you thinking?", Sams asks.

Kayla who walks next to him lifts an eyebrow.
"Why do you think that he's thinking? Not sure if he can.", she says but it doesn't sound unfriendly.

I don't know how she's doing this but she's able to say every bad thing on this world and smile as it is an compliment. She's acting like we would know each other since we were children.

Maybe because she knows us longer than she knew anyone else before.

"I'm wondering what the others will say when they see her.", I answer to my friends question. "And what when they realize that we didn't finished our mission."

"Really?" Sams rolls his eyes. "That's what you're thinking about?"

Actually... no.
I'm thinking about what Kayla will say when she sees the others with their weapons and powers. We are a organization who is working with the latest technology and I'm afraid she will think that we aren't better than Hydra.

Just as she can read my mind the fire lady asks: "Wo, exactly, are the 'others'?"

"Good Guys, bad boys and broken heroes.", Sam grumbles.

She lifts an eyebrow. "And to wich group do you belong?"

I don't let my friend answer and point with my arm at my motorbike.

"Kayla? You drive with me.", I order. "Sam will fly."

I thought that she would say something. That she doesn't want to sit behind me because I'm a stranger und she treaded me like an enemy before. But she just nods her head.

"Let's go, Snowflake.", she smiles and lets me go first.

I get on the bike and try to help her, bus she ignores my hand and sits down behind me.

She tries to act brave and calm but one look into her eyes tells me that she's afraid.

Of us.

Of her.

Of what we gonna do with her.
Uhm, that sounds weird.

However: She's dangerous. And it's my job to stob her. When the fear leads her... hell, I don't even know what's gonna happen then.

But I think that Wanda can help her. Well... I hope.

"Lay your arms around me.", I say to Kayla.

She opens her mouth to disagree, closes it, nods her head.
Carefully she does what I told her.

I can feel her heartbeat through our jackets. It's running faster than Sam can fly.
I guess mine isn't slower.